Thursday, December 18, 2014

Welcoming the Red-throated Loon

December 18, 2014

We had about an inch of rain from this storm and we sure could use a lot more rain here in Southern California. But today is turning out to be sunny with lots of beautiful white clouds. I'm eager to head to the lagoon to see if I can get a few shots of the Loon that everyone is talking about.



The breeze was still a little chilly but what great weather for walking and enjoying the outdoors. I was looking for the new migration arrival that everyone has been talking about. One of the photographers and a couple of expert birders said that they did spot a Loon the other day. I am looking at every little inlet and small channel hoping to spot our new arrival.

Unable to spot the Loon, I headed for the parking lot ready to drive over to Rios when I ran into Eve Martin and I told her that I had been looking all morning for the Loon and had not spotted him. We both decided to go to the east side of the lagoon to see if he was there but after a few minutes of scanning the area, I decided that I was going to stay with my plan to check out Rios. Eve wasn't ready to give up her search for the loon and stayed by the boardwalk searching through her binoculars for the new migrant. 

It wasn't two minutes after I started walking back to the parking lot that my phone rang and it was Eve standing by the boardwalk waving and pointing to the channel where a loon was swimming right towards me. It's a juvenile Red-throated Loon... a life bird for me!  Wow what an exciting sight to see... Welcome to San Elijo Lagoon!
Red-throated Loon are our smallest and most slender loon. Measuring 25 inches long with a wingspan of 36 inches.
The Red-throated are the only ones that have the speckled markings on their backs. Other loons have barred patterns that show on their backs.

Close-up showing the white face with gray on the neck but with no pattern. It's more of a salt and peppering of white and gray. Sibley Guide to Birds says that the "head is often peaked at the rear" as in this photo.




The Red-throated Loons are the only loons that do not have to run/patter on water to take off and fly... they can take off straight up from land.



All other loons forage near their territory in breeding season to feed their young but the Red-throated Loons will fly out of their breeding territory to fish for food for their young.
Also, unlike other loons the Red-throated Loons do not carry their young on their backs. According to The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior (2001), during breeding season, a pair of loons and their young will consume up to 2,000 pounds of fish. They also will swallow small pebbles to aid in digestion.
It has turned out to be a very exciting morning. To be able to photograph one of these migration visitors is quite a treat. Thanks Eve for spotting this awesome guest for me!
He has decided to head north on the main channel. I walk along the trail watching him swim and hunt for fish. Finally he decides to take a nap and on the far side of the channel by the bridge, he climbs up into the pickleweed and disappears. Time for me to go check out Rios.
  
Didn't see much today but I did get a few shots yesterday afternoon at east Rios trail. Here is a Hermit Thrush.
Hermit Thrush measures 6.75 inches long with a wing span of 11.5 inches.
They eat insects and will be on the ground foraging by stirring the leaves up with their foot much like the way the Snowy Egrets use their feet to stir the bottom for prey.
In migration the Hermit Thrush also eats berries. He is eying one of the ripe red berries on a native California shrub called Toyon, Heteromeles arbutifolia, sometimes called California Holly or Christmas berry.
It's always exciting to watch the American White Pelicans fly into the lagoon. They landed in the middle of the lagoon... much too far away for good photos but what a beautiful addition to our lagoon.
I can't wait to be able to photograph them close up.
I spotted the Green-winged Teal drakes busy trying to impress a female Green-winged Teal. You can see the one on the right displaying and trying to get the females attention.
Very impressive display with his neck all stretched out and showing some colors on his wings.
The female glances his way...
The female will be the one to choose which drake she wants to bond with for the breeding season.
Until she chooses, the drakes will swim around her puffing up and tossing their head in a very impressive display.
The one on the right sure is showing off.
Pretty impressive...
Now it's the drake on the left that is puffing up and doing his display.
 
The one on the right isn't going to play fair... he is still puffed up too trying to keep her attention on him but it looks like female is starting to take a little nap.
LOL... the drakes look at each other and it's as if the one on the left is saying to the one on the right, "Dude... she isn't even paying attention, I think she's asleep!" Hope the female decides on one of these hopeful drakes when she wakes from her power nap. When she finally decides, she will signal to the ones that she isn't interested by aggressively chasing him off and swimming up to her new mate in a submissive manner. When she finally chooses the mate, that is when the male will take over and he will start chasing off other drakes that approach his mate.
Have a lovely day everyone.                                                                      Toyon bush




2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised I didn't see you at Rios. I was going to go to the Nature Center, but my dogs were exhausted. (I normally have my German Shepherds with me.)
    I saw the loon on the pole trail as well as a brown pelican, many hoodies, and a pair of VERY active harriers.
    Have a Merry Christmas and I look forward to your posts and pix in the New Year!!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen, Super report on what you spotted on the Pole Trail at Rios. Hope to go there tomorrow. LOL... Had to get all the Christmas shopping done today! See you on the trails, Jo

      Delete