Thursday, March 12, 2015

Quick Stop at the Garden

Some days are quite challenging. The old saying "when it rains it pours" best describes my whole week! An unexpected trip to the dentist, a home electrical problem that needed an expert's immediate attention, and finally, the most distressing, my van is at the mechanic's. It went in for an engine light and now it has turned into a little more of a problem so it has been one of those weeks. I am glad it's almost over. I did sneak a quick look at the San Diego Botanic Garden before all this happened but couldn't post until today.





Arriving at the gardens after any business meeting is soothing for the nerves. Today was just a short visit but I will take what I can get. Here are a few shots of flowers that I saw as I walked around looking for some interesting bird subjects.



I went to the area in the garden where I saw the Varied Thrush and found a couple of Cedar Waxwings perched on a Torrey Pine tree. Cedar Waxwing, Bombycilla cedrorum measures 7.25 inches with a wingspan of 12 inches. The one on the lower left-hand corner of this photo has caught what appears to be some kind of a pine beetle.

He looks up at the one perched at the upper right of the photo. 
 
Jumps up with the prey bringing it closer to the one on the right of this photo.
 
Because both male and female Cedar Waxwings look alike, I am only guessing that the one with prey may be a male and is offering his mate a love token. 
 
There is a food exchange and they both fly off to a higher branch. 

Just across the way... near the gazebo structure, I spot a Cooper's Hawk in the shadow of a large tree. I would have never known he was there except for his insistent calls. May have been calling for his mate. There appears to be a large nest directly above where he was perched. 

It may belong to this raptor but I can't be sure until I spot him inside or bringing in some nest material. I will have to keep a lookout to see who claims this nest.

Got a call from my son wanting me to pick up parts from the auto supplies shop... it's time for me to go.  But I spotted this sleepyhead Allen's Hummer on the way to my van. 

He wakes from the sound of my camera. Now I really have to get going and do some chores.

Getting my chores done, I decided to head to San Elijo Lagoon for an evening walk. A Snowy Egret flies in looking for early dinner. 
 
They are almost always around and even though they are common, they still delight us photographers with their showy antics. 

Finding supper. 

The egret walks in front of the bridge where I was standing and grabs a nice little snack. 

A head-on view of the Snowy Egret. 

Sun is going down fast but I get a few shots of this charismatic bird. 

One last shot.
  
 A sandpiper flies close to the water

A beautiful reflection with rainbow light flashes as he flies past
 
A male Mallard flies by and I'm shooting towards the setting sun. A pretty outline effect by the sunlight. 
 
The sun glows through his wings...

Quacking as he flies by... the males have a quieter softer sounding quack and much raspier than the loud familiar quacking of the female Mallard.


One last shot of this colorful bird as the sun gets closer to the horizon. It's time for me to head for home. 

Have a nice weekend everyone. 
FYI... Exciting news! Eve just wrote me and said that a Vermilion Flycatcher has been spotted at the Rios trailhead of San Elijo Lagoon!! If I can spot one, it will be a life bird for me : ))

No comments:

Post a Comment