Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hawk, Hummers and Frogs at the Garden

Birding has slowed down at the San Elijo Lagoon as the migration of shorebirds and the end of the breeding season have left the shoreline at the lagoon quiet and vacant of many birds. I find myself eager to visit the San Diego Botanic Garden and look for some of the birds that nest there and to see if I can spot any of the youngsters that have recently fledged and may be exploring their new world. 

********************************


I ran into local photographer Nick as I searched for bird subjects. He was kind enough to alert me to a nearby utility pole that a young Cooper's Hawk fledgling was perched on and calling for food service from his parents. Here are a few shots of this handsome young Cooper's Hawk at the Garden. 

Calling for food service.
Yes he is!
Some shots of the flowers in bloom at the Botanic Garden.


 Found a cute brown frog at the small pond by the waterfall. 



Walking back towards the large lily pond I spot a young Allen's Hummingbird hiding in the leaves.
 An adult female Allen's Hummingbird checks out a flowering bush nearby. 


Walking over to the lily pond.

Have a beautiful week everyone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment