Monday, September 21, 2015

Great Blue Herons at San Elijo Lagoon

Some days are quite challenging when it comes to getting bird subjects and this is the time of the year when it takes a lot of looking and luck to get some action shots.  But today at the San Elijo Lagoon, I was lucky enough to get two young Great Blue Herons and an adult that appeared and chased them away. Here are the photos of the event.






A young Great Blue Heron arrives. Great Blue Heron, Ardea herodias measures 54 inches long with a wingspan of 72 inches. 
 



A second youngster arrives...
Does a beautiful flyby.



The other youngster is still in the pickleweeds hunting for prey.

 
All of the sudden, an adult appears and starts a chase. It appears that he wants the youngster out of his territory.  You'll notice that the adult bird has white on the top of his head while the younger heron's crown is still dark.







The youngster was chased across the lagoon to the Solana Beach side of the Nature Reserve and it is time for me to head for home. 

Have a beautiful week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Kudos! Jo, your ability to capture the texture of the plumage and to maintain pin point focus on the eyes is remarkable. I met you in Feburary during one of your walks. I recall you were using a Canon 400mm prime lens that did not have i/s . How do you do it? Thanks for sharing your wonderful work. Paul Snider, Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul for your very nice comment about my photos and for stopping by. Yes, I use a straight 400mm with no stabilizer so shooting a bird that is in flight or on the move can be a challenge but sometimes I get lucky. I love what I do and comments like yours makes my day. Thank you again for stopping by. Good birding to you, Jo

      Delete