Monday, November 16, 2015

Will Drones Affect Birding?

The internet is wonderful for searching for information. When you are going on a camping trip to the mountains, you definitely want to check the upcoming weather. Knowing the weather forecast can mean the difference between a successful fun-filled trip or something that is more of a nightmare or even dangerous when it comes to camping unprepared. Going to the mountains in Julian and visiting Lake Cuyamaca is one of my favorite places to go birding. This weekend was supposed to be ideal weather with the winds calm and the sky clear and bright. The drive to the mountains of Julian was beautiful and the weather was perfect. Many of the trees have turned color and there was a briskness in the air. The temperature was going to be cool in the daytime and very cold at night... almost freezing! Time to put the sweaters on my Ratties!






After setting up and eating lunch at the campsite, it was time to go check out Lake Cuyamaca and see how the cold weather had changed the birding landscape. Arriving at the lake it appeared even more shallow, the shoreline receding due to the drought. The fishermen were abundant on the rental boats trying to land a fresh fish for dinner. The lake was speckled with lots of Ruddy Ducks and American Coots. Several Great Blue Heron and at least two Great Egrets were busy hunting at the shallow edges of the lake. Deciding to walk to the south side of the lake, I spotted a bobcat stalking prey in the dry grass field past the lake.

A few shots of the beautiful Bobcat.
 
Just being at the lake, relaxing and watching the Canada Goose parade around and the Ruddy ducks and Cormorants enjoying the water was a very enjoyable way to spend the afternoon. I saw a few Dark-eyed Junco birds in a nearby tree and deciding to get a few shots, I focused my attention on one perched in the shade. To get a brighter shot, I fiddled with the shutter speed hoping for a few good bird-on-a-stick shots.  But I was rewarded with a quick flyaway and nothing to show for my efforts. I was ready to get back to the camp as the sun went down behind the nearby hill bringing shade to the south parking area and the temperature dropping dramatically. Climbing into the van and taking a last scan of the lake, I was stunned to see a juvenile Bald Eagle flying low over the water heading east from where I was parked. 

Getting excited, I just reached for my camera and started to click away forgetting to reset my shutter speed! A big lesson for me to learn. 
 The juvenile decides to fly. Heads south but circles and flies north.
The always aggressive Great Blue Heron appears to be on high alert as the low flying juvenile Bald Eagle approaches.
Bald Eagle, Haliaeetus leucocephalus measures 31 inches long with a wingspan of 80 inches.
This Bald Eagle appears to be a 3rd year juvenile. 
Another Great Blue Heron sits quietly perched on a low branch of a pine tree.
 
All of a sudden there is a second Juvenile Bald Eagle flying circling the area where I spotted the first one disappear into the tall pine tree. This one appears to be a 2nd year juvenile.
Most likely this is a food chase. They are too far away for a good look but the first one appeared to have something in its talons and the young 2nd year Eagle wants a steal. They fly in large drawn out circles. Coming slightly closer to me after each circle.



 A very exciting observation of the interaction between the two juveniles. They may also be establishing their territory and may have many of these types of encounters in the future. This one seemed quite tame compared to some I have observed and heard many stories of this type of encounter ending up in death of one if it turns vicious.  This photo shows the two juveniles only got this close before the aggressive interaction stopped.  
I loved the shots but was very glad neither were hurt in this encounter.
I am feeling so very lucky to have observed two magnificent birds in action. To get a shot of two Eagles in one frame makes my day!
 The one in front starts to gain some air space between them.
The youngster in the back of the photo starts to slow down.
 Now I only get one Eagle in the camera frame.
 The 3rd year juvenile flies off to the west and the 2nd juvenile heads east.

As I watch the eagles soar and fly away, something enters my camera frame and it's not a bird. It's a drone with a camera! In a peaceful mountain surrounding, watching nature at its wildest, two majestic Bald Eagles interacting and all of a sudden, a drone enters my camera frame! Someone is watching me watching nature! Is this the image of the future? Distraction from the peace and quiet of nature with the buzzing sound of the propellers of the camera mounted drones? I can't help but feel a bit of sadness at this sight. Do I need to accept the future with machines invading the airspace of the quiet mountain getaway? There is wonderful progress being made and more information on the web than we can ever read in a lifetime. But, where do you draw the line when it comes to enjoying nature with a hand-held camera and the new generation of drones that take it a step beyond hiking and use this mechanical product to get a glimpse into nature? 

It's time for me to head back to the campsite and get ready for the very cold night in the mountains. Tomorrow the weatherman has predicted that we are going to get rain and high winds. Thanks to advanced technology and science, I won't get stuck in the mountains with a dangerous rain and wind storm approaching from the north. Time to head for home. 

Have a calm week everyone.






7 comments:

  1. Hi Jo!! I just got back from Haines, Alaska to photograph bald eagles!! Juveniles are so pretty:)
    Ironic you posted about the drone. I was at the Nature Center at San Elijo during the evening (after the park rangers left) and someone was flying their drone over the lagoon. I didn't say anything to them, but felt it was odd to fly it over a reserve. Mad me sad as well.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maureen, I would love to photograph Bald Eagles in Alaska! Would love to see some of your eagle shots. Thanks for the info on the drones at San Elijo Lagoon. I wonder if it may be the reason we didn't have a Green Heron and the Least Bittern nesting at our Nature Reserve this year. It would really be interesting to hear what our biologist have observed concerning this issue. See you out birding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are on facebook, send me a friend request and you can see the pix:)
    I didn't realize we didn't have those nestings. The reserve may want to consider banning drones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen, I talk to someone that volunteers at San Elijo Lagoon Nature Center and they told me that there is a rule against flying drones over our nature reserve. Hope they can enforce this rule. Good Birding, Jo

      Delete
  4. This is just the information I am finding everywhere. Thanks for your blog, I just subscribe your blog. This is a nice blog.. Drones that have camera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome to our blog! Thanks for your comment. Hope you visit us often.

      Delete
  5. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. storm racing drones

    ReplyDelete