Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Say's Phoebe in Flight

It's that time of the year when the weather is crisp and cool but the sun is out and the sky is clear. Time to go to Santa Carina Trails, the east side of the San Elijo Lagoon on the Solana Beach side. 






Entering the trail head of Santa Carina, I decided to clean my camera lens and check my setting when I saw something flying fast and low coming towards where I was standing. Good grief, it's the gray ghost! The male Northern Harrier glided past and was gone before I could turn on the camera and try to get him in focus!  Disappointed at myself for not being ready, I walked towards the lookout when a Say's Phoebe landed close by on a bare twig. Here are some shots of the very friendly Say's Phoebe as it fluttered and hunted for prey.

Say's Phoebe, Sayornis phoebe measures 7 inches long with a wingspan of 10.5 inches.




 





 
















Have a wonderful week everyone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment