Monday, February 22, 2016

Closer Look at the Lawrence's Goldfinch

Some birds are quite shy and when you are trying to get shots of them out in the open without thick foliage or masses of branches in front of them, it can be quite frustrating. The other day, I was trying to get some shots of the Lawrence's Goldfinch at the San Elijo Nature Center Trail on Manchester but all I could see were lots of branches and leaves between the bird subject and my camera.  Frustrated, I decided to see if I could get a better view of these little finches at a place near the Rios Ave trailhead in Solana Beach. It's been reported by some birders that there are a few bird feeders near Rios that attract some of birds from the area. It didn't take long for me to spot the Lawrence's Goldfinch with his distinctive black markings on his face and beautiful yellow wings and chest. Here are some photos of the Lawrence's Goldfinch.






Lawrence's Goldfinch, Spinus lawrencei measures 4.75 inches long with a wingspan of 8.25 inches.
 
Only the male Lawrence's Goldfinch has the black on his face which extends under his lower beak and down his throat area.

 This guy has some Arroyo willow flower fibers still stuck to his beak.





This one appears to be a female Lawrence's Goldfinch. She lacks the black markings on her face, chin and neck. Notice that the wings are still yellow.
There were about six males in this group but the females were harder to spot. One last shot of the female Lawrence's Goldfinch.




 As I started my walk at the Rios Ave trailhead, I noticed that there were Lawrence's Goldfinches down below in the willows too.
These goldfinches are lovely birds and fun to watch as they dart around the willows but trying to get a flight shot was not possible today. Time for me to take a quick walk and head for home.
 
Have a good week everyone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment