Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Waiting for the Yellow Warbler

There comes a point when trying to get a shot of a particular bird that it becomes more of a challenge to your patience than you could ever have anticipated. As I wait for the Yellow Warbler to show at San Andres Trail in Del Mar, I wonder how long a wait is "too long" and when is it considered giving up or "wimping out" if you turn around and walk away.






Some birds just stand there and pose for you all day. Like this Green Heron that flew in to the north side of the little bridge at the trailhead at San Dieguito Lagoon. In this spot, some street run-off and mucky looking water collects and filters through the vegetation and reeds before it trickles into the lagoon. Here are a few shots of the Green Heron catching a tiny fish in the drainage pond. 
 
Something moves in the water in front of the Heron. He freezes and goes into the classic Green Heron frozen stance.
Got it!
 The Green Heron has gotten himself a nice little fish. 
 Gets a good grip on his fish. 
 Down the hatch.
 
Within seconds, he has caught himself a tiny fish and this repeats for a while as I leave him to his hunting and go back to searching for the yellow warbler.
Searching for the Yellow Warbler, I ran into a friend and birding mentor, Ms. Rosalie. I had mentioned that all I could find this morning was the Wilson's Warbler. She laughed and said that the Yellow-breasted Chat had been taunting her for awhile singing out but could not be spotted in the thick willows. I looked and looked for the Chat with Ms Rosalie but the only shot I captured was of a Wilson's!
Ms. Rosalie said she had to get going but I decided to stay a while longer and not give up on looking for the Yellow Warbler. LOL, wouldn't you know it, when you are not looking for the Warbling Vireo, it shows up!

 Always a challenge to get a shot without branches in the way. 
 
The Vireo flew across the trail and I automatically followed with my camera and stepped quickly across the trail.  Good thing I glanced where I was stepping, almost stepping on this beauty. Sure glad it wasn't a rattler!
 There he is... one more shot before he disappears into the thick willows. 
Frustration sets in as I search for the Yellow Warbler.  I kept listening and searching the 100 yards of birding area past the trail entrance. I hear him in the thick willows but when I focus in on a yellow bird, it turns out to be the Wilson's Warbler again. They sure are plentiful in this area.
 Showing us his distinctive black cap.
Even if I don't get a shot of the Yellow Warbler today, it's been a wonderful morning getting to see and visit with one of my favorite birding friends Ms. Rosalie and having lots of Wilson's Warblers to keep me company as I keep searching. 
 
It's been four hours now in the same area where I'd spotted the Yellow Warbler the other day. Joggers jog by and I'm still there when they are coming back from their three mile jogs. A Great Egret flies in and makes a nice pose on top of the bridge rails.
It's almost 2:00 pm and my stomach is telling me that it's way past lunch time. The wind has picked up but this protected area isn't too bad. Thinking that I will have to admit defeat, I start to walk back towards the bridge. Something small and yellow darts through the branches on the small willow tree on the south side of the trail. It must be those pesky Wilson's again teasing me with the bright yellow flashes as they drop from branch to branch looking for insects. But just in case it's a different bird, I decide to focus my camera lens on the small movement in the arroyo willow. Oh my... there he is! Bright yellow with reddish streaks on the belly. It's the Yellow Warbler... Here are some of the shots I finally got of this elusive shy bird. 
Yellow Warbler, Setophaga petechia measures 5 inches long with a wingspan of 8 inches. 
 
This is a adult male Yellow Warbler. Only the males have the reddish streaks on the chest and sides.  
Beautiful coloring on his tail. Notice the dark on the edges and bright yellow as he fans his tail open. 

 I'm shooting into the sun but feel lucky just to get a few shots. 
 Nice side pose. 
 Showing off his beautiful tail.
A short tapered tail with the yellow under-feathers of his tail going all the way to the tip.  
 A good look at his back and wing pattern. 
 Side shot.

  Back shot. 

  Stretching and looking for insects. 

 
One last shot of this beautiful yellow bird. Feeling great that I got a few shots of this yellow beauty, I finally head for home.
Have a beautiful week everyone. 
 

2 comments: