Monday, August 15, 2016

Start of the Fall Migration at San Elijo Lagoon

Today seemed much like any other summer day, hot and muggy.  A strong northerly wind was the only thing that made this hot morning a delightful weather for walking and checking out what new subjects I could spot today.  I would like to say that even though I saw quite a lot of shorebirds coming to feed on the mud flats this morning at the San Elijo Lagoon, I was jolted out of my lazy summer mood when I spotted what appeared to be a juvenile Wilson's Phalarope in the middle of a large flock of Willets and several sandpipers! Wilson's Phalarope is a  "life bird" for me and a indicator for the start of the fall migration!






Here are some images that I captured of a juvenile Wilson's Phalarope.  Phalaropus tricolor measures 9.25 inches long with a wingspan of 17 inches. When he reaches full maturity and comes into full breeding plumage, his leg color will be black. However, the juveniles and the non-breeding adults have pale yellow legs. You can see his movement in many of the shots. How it walks and searches for food is also an important factor in identifying birds. The Wilson's has a unique way of walking when hunting for prey. He slinks down like hunting feline. What a wonderful opportunity it was for me to see and photograph this beautiful bird.
 



















 





Have a super week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment