Monday, November 20, 2017

A Short Visit to the Lagoon

With Thanksgiving Holiday approaching, I have been busy getting ready for the big day. Needing a break from many unfinished chores, I decided to take a quick short visit to the San Elijo Lagoon. 



 
This Anna's Hummingbird is spotted by the Nature Center defending his territory.

Close-up. Anna's Hummingbird, Calypte anna measures 4 inches long with a wingspan of 5.25 inches.

Looking out from the observation deck, I spot five Lesser Scaup.
A adult male in full breeding plumage.
There appear to be two females in full breeding plumage and one in nonbreeding plumage accompanying the adult male. The one to the far right appears to be a male in nonbreeding plumage.

I take a quick look by the boardwalk and spot this nice little Orange-crowned Warbler.

He is getting lots of insects off the underside of the willow leaves.
 
A male Common Yellowthroat makes a brief appearance.

Coming back to the west side of the nature trail loop, I find that the Lesser Scaups have company. The two male Buffleheads are swimming in front.
 
I watch the Lesser Scaups dive and bring up seaweed, chomping happily as they swim with it on the surface.

Here is a good look at two adult Lesser Scaups in breeding plumage. The one on the left is the female and the the one on the right is the male. Lesser Scaup, Aythya affinis measures 16.5 inches long with a wingspan of 25 inches.
A closer look at the adult male.

Walking back to my truck, I spot a young Cooper's Hawk on the utility pole. I take the elevator to the lookout deck at the nature center to get a closer look.

As I focus on the hawk perched on the telephone pole's crossbar, he flies north crossing Manchester Ave. heading towards the brush-covered bank across the road.
He flies head-on into the lemonade berry tree.

He completely disappears inside the lemonade berry. Wondering if he is after prey and if he will reappear with something in his talons, I keep my camera focused on the lemonade berry.
 
Within minutes, he shoots out of the bush so quickly that it takes me by surprise. His talons are empty.

I keep my camera on the hawk.
 
Wow, he is a beauty.

As I snap away, I am hoping that the camera keeps its focus on this youngster in flight. They are so quick, I rarely have a chance to get a shot of one in flight.

Wonderful wingspan.

He lands on the wires and strikes a nice pose.

A beautiful youngster. Cooper's Hawk, Accipiter cooperii measures 16.5 inches long with a wingspan of 31 inches.

His plumage is that of a first year juvenile. He looks strong and healthy.

Off he goes!

Look at those deadly talons! Grateful for the flight shots of this beauty, I head down the elevator and walk towards my truck again.

On my way to the parking lot, I hear a familiar call. It's the California Gnatcatcher's "mewing" call. I finally spot him hunting for bugs on a nearby bush.


 



 
The proof of this bird's identity is seen on the underside of the tail.


One last shot before he flies off.
Well look who flew into a nearby bush... A Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Yellow-rumped Warbler, Setophaga coronata  measures 5.5 inches long with a wingspan of 9.25 inches.

One last look at our Yellow-rumped Warbler and now it's time for me to get home.
Have a super week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment