Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Looking for the Hooded Warbler

The weather has been beautiful with clear skies and morning temperatures in the mid-fifties. I can't explain why I was late getting out to bird this morning except that the kitchen was warm and it was nice just to sit and sip a hot cup of coffee. As I watched the birds come to my fountain, I realized that it was already past 10:30am and I better get out birding if I was going to go at all. Arriving at the Nature Center at the San Elijo Lagoon, I was stopped by one of the volunteer docents. She asked if I had gone to Del Mar to see the Hooded Warbler. I said no but I had read about it on the San Diego Region Birding rare birds alert website. This would be a "life bird" for me if I got to see it! She gave me directions to the street and I was on my way. 





Arriving at Portofino Drive in Del Mar, I parked at the top of the street not knowing where to look. Walking towards Ruette le Parc, I passed a lady walking and she mentioned that she had seen lots of birders at the corner. I told her I was looking for a bird called the Hooded Warbler and she said lots of people had been here the last few days looking for it too. As I walked towards the corner of the street I was greeted by one of the residents on his morning walk. He asked if I was looking for the special bird and I said yes!  He said, "Follow me and I will show you the exact spot where it has been spotted!"  

I followed him into the condo complex on Ruette le Parc. Walking a few hundred feet into the nicely manicured neighborhood, the helpful gentleman said, "Here is the spot and good luck finding your bird!" and walked on. I stood for a while scanning the nearby shrubs and trees. Something small and yellow flew into the cypress tree in front of me. As I followed the movement with my camera, it flew to the ground.  And that's when I finally got to see my first Hooded Warbler!
 
Hooded Warbler, Setophaga citrina measures 5.25 inches long with a wingspan of 7 inches. 

All adult males have the yellow face framed in black hood as seen in this photo, but some females may also have the full black hood markings of a male but it varies with the female Hooded Warblers. Some females may have no black markings at all but most have some hint of the unique hooded pattern. All info from Sibley guide to birds. 

This photo shows the white coloring of his tail feathers, frequently fanned as he forages for insects on the ground. 


A very twitchy warbler, he flies into the nearby cypress tree. As I try for a better shot, he flies off across the street. 
 
Looking for the warbler, I spot a Dark-eyed Junco.



A few feet away from the Junco, I spot the Hooded Warbler on the ground again. Sorry for the grainy shot but he is in very dark shade. 



Up in the tree again. 

Close-up.


A good look at his chin.

Close-up


Close-up

A look at his under-tail.

The Hooded Warbler flies off and I am again searching across the street and this time I find a beautiful male Townsend's Warbler.


Off he goes.
I search the area and spot the Hooded Warbler on the ground again!

Close-up.
Super close.  : ) !








He forages for awhile and then flies off. It's been a great morning finding the Hooded Warbler. I am thankful to the wonderful people that live in this complex for being so welcoming and friendly. Time to head for home. 
Have a wonderful week everyone!

1 comment:

  1. great photos Jo, and yes my neighbors have been so understanding of the many birders who have been here to see the bird--and also excited about the bird too!

    ReplyDelete