Friday, May 18, 2018

Welcome Migration Visitors

When Eve and I went birding several weeks ago to check out the Great Horned Owl's nest, we spotted a Lazuli Bunting.  As hard as I tried to get a photo, while facing into the sun, I could not get a clear shot of it before it flew. I went back to the spot many times after the sighting trying to find it. The search was always unsuccessful. This was a lifebird for me and I wanted to show you what I had seen. Feeling disappointed at not refinding the Lazuli Bunting, I decided to give it one more try.  And as I got ready to go birding, while still sipping on my coffee and eating breakfast, I spotted a bird flying into the fountain that made me scramble for my camera!






Yes, it was a Lazuli Bunting which I'd been searching for for the past few weeks!  Wow, what a treat. As I click away to get some shots of this migration visitor, I whisper, "Welcome to my backyard".

Lazuli Bunting, Passerina amoena measures 5.5 inches long with a wingspan of 8.75 inches.
















An Anna's Hummingbird is a daily visitor.

A tiny yellow bird catches my eye. It's a Wilson's Warbler!

A cutie! Wilson's Warbler , Cardellina pusilla measures 4.75 inches with a wingspan of 7 inches.




Just flew to the plumaria tree. Only a few feet away from the fountain.

Looking at the fountain.

Gives a little call out.
Taking a leap to the fountain of fun! Touches down and jumps up as if he is surprised by the flowing water.

Settling down to check out the fountain.



Looks over at me and decides that was enough adventure for today and flies off.

Many of the plants are flowering. Wonderful colors to cheer you up.




A young looking male Anna's Hummingbird appears at the fountain.




Look who came back to the fountain... it's the Wilson's Warbler finally getting a good dip.

More soothing colors for you.

They get lots of visitors searching for nectar.

This young male Hooded Oriole decides to get a little bath. A female youngster also has been visiting the fountain and I have a feeling they were the young fledglings that were here in November.

Looking at his plumage, he appears to be a first summer male.

Looking to see if all is clear to take a good bath. I am so happy to see these beautiful migrating birds visiting my backyard. It's time for me to go for a walk and check out what's happening at the lagoon.
Have a wonderful week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment