Monday, June 8, 2015

Frustrations of Photographing Over Water

I sure got lucky the other day when I went to observe the young Peregrine Falcons in flight. Today, Eve was able to come and observe the Torrey Pines State Park Peregrine Falcon fledglings in action but the weather was not co-operating.  It turned out to be a perfect study in "pure frustration" a bird photographer faces trying to shoot the fastest birds in the world on a dark and gloomy day while they fly past like bullets under the cliffs over the breaking surf and whitewater. You are constantly fighting your camera's auto-focus as it wants to grab onto the churning whitewater below the birds. LOL... your mind is yelling obscenities as you try to remain cool and collected so as not to let on to other photographers that you are frustrated and ready to throw your equipment over the cliffs.


 
Arriving a few minutes before 8:00am, I spot Eve already opening the trunk of her car for my camera equipment. We were both eager to get going to see the young Peregrine Falcons in action. We parked by the Guy Fleming trailhead and headed north on the narrow trail. Half way there we ran into several photographers keeping an eye on one of the fledglings that had landed on the east side of the trail. We stood with them and looked but it was much too far and I was eager to get to the viewpoint to see if I could spot the remaining three. I have learned that the fledglings do not stay in one area too long and it's best to pick a good spot and stay there till they come flying by instead of trying to chase them down every time they land somewhere. Here is a photo of one of the youngsters resting and probably waiting for breakfast. 

Looks like one of the adult Peregrine Falcons flying fast south bound. The adults are easily identified by the yellow beak and "cere", the waxy structure that covers the base of their bill. 

The sky refused to clear and it was dark and gloomy making it a difficult day for detailed shots. Here is a fledgling flying towards me. The fledglings are easily identified by the blue beak and cere surrounding the nostrils.
 Another fledgling heading south.

First one makes a loop and shadows the second fledgling. 

As it flies by, I get lucky and get a few shots.

But there is not enough light and the photo is grainy. 
 A beautiful sight of the youngster feeling the freedom of flight. 
 
As I work to focus on all the flight activity, a fledgling flies past with a Torrey Pine branch in the background.
 
But the focus of my camera immediately veers towards the ocean and grabs the whitewash as I lose focus on the fledgling. LOL, My camera prefers to focus on the whitewater below. 

Got a nice shot of the wave but only a blurry outline of the young falcon. Many unladylike words formed on my lips but I manage to keep the vocalization of my frustration about my focusing problem to a low moan with an occasional "no, not the water again" as I talked to my camera as if it would understand my plea.

As the action continues, the camera finally grabs the two falcons flying past. 
 One gains speed and challenges the sibling below. 
 
But to my distress, my camera again decides it likes the waves below better than my intended target of the two fledglings sparring in the air. 
 
I finally pick them up again but they are heading south and all I get is a tail shot. 

They decide to mock fight again but now it's too far away for my lens on such a gloomy day. 

Still trying to capture some of the action I keep frantically working with my camera's focus.

One last shot of the mock fight and I get lucky enough to get the action but too far away and still very grainy. 
 
They do a few more flybys as I struggle with the camera. 
 
It was still exciting to watch these youngsters play but I am eager to get back on a sunny day for a better opportunity for flight shots. 

One last shot before my camera deserts me again...
 
A shot of the whitewater below with blurry fledglings. Eve and I were freezing as we watched from high on the cliffs so we decided to call it a day. It was still a fantastic experience watching these fledglings practice their flight maneuvers. The fastest bird in the world and one of my favorite birds to watch and photograph. We will be coming back to see these wonderful birds of prey soon. 

Have a super week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment