Thursday, January 5, 2017

What's in Your Backyard?

Do you bird in your backyard? This week, between the rainstorms, I decided to take a few hours to see what birds were visiting my backyard. Some were just outside my fence with one overhead shot of a flyover by a lone White-faced Ibis. If you are lucky enough to have a backyard, it can be landscaped to make it bird friendly and you can even add a hummingbird feeder to make it inviting for those little beauties.  You will be delighted by the visitors!





Here are some photos of birds that I took in my backyard.

A Bushtit lands near my avocado tree.
 
Orange-crowned Warbler flies in.

A young Allen's Hummingbird is acting quite possessive of my yard.

I think this is a young female Allen's Hummingbird.




The young male acting very territorial.

Chasing off any other hummer that approaches the feeder.


A White-faced Ibis is seen flying high overhead.

A male Lesser Goldfinch.

Another look at the Lesser Goldfinch.
Another young Allen's Hummingbird approaches the feeder.

What a beauty.

I would say this one is quite young. Look at the pinfeather still sporting under the eye.
 
Lots of searching for intruders.
An Anna's Hummingbird makes an appearance.

A female Anna's Hummingbird visits my neighbors' jasmine bush.
 
The Anna's hummer is soon chased off by this female Allen's Hummingbird.
She appears a little heavy at the hips. Maybe she has eggs already?



 
A White-crowned sparrow stops by.
Anna's hummer is checking out the Ume flower.


A beautiful colored male House Finch lands in the yard.

I really was hoping this was a Purple Finch but he is just a really beautifully colored House Finch.

Lots of activity with songbirds scattering. I spot a Red-shouldered Hawk in my neighbors' tree.
The hawk departs but his calls have all the birds in the neighborhood flying in all directions.
Here is one bird that came out of hiding to perch in a high branch for a better look at the hawk.

A beautiful adult male Allen's lands on the feeder.
Wow, he warns off one of the youngsters that approaches.

Off he goes.
 
I notice a movement and it is the female House Finch hunkered down and hiding in the neighbors' tree.

The young Allen's is looking for a fight.

He spots something in front.
 
It's the adult male Allen's .

Amazing color.
 
He is a beauty.
Showing off his wings.





Another Orange-crowned Warbler lands.

Even a Yellow-rumped Warbler makes an appearance. All the birds appear unsettled as the Red-shoulder Hawk calls and calls.
 
The two Mourning Doves in the neighbors' pecan tree are not panicking.

The female Nuttall's Woodpecker preens to relax. Well, even between the rain storms, I can enjoy birding even if it's just from my back yard. Hope your holiday was great and that this will be the best year ever!
Have a super week everyone! P.S... The Berry College Eagles are on live cam again. The proud mom has just laid her first egg last night and may be working on her second one. Tune in at  Berry Collage Eagles .

2 comments: