Thursday, May 25, 2017

White-tailed Kites at Santa Carina

Driving on San Elijo Ave towards the Nature Center, I realized the parking was already full so I headed towards Solana Beach. The traffic was flowing well and within minutes, I was on the Santa Carina trails of the San Elijo Lagoon.






As soon as I started down the trail heading north, I heard a familiar sound. It was the rasping call made by a White-tailed Kite fledgling calling for food service! Here are a few photos of the young White-tailed Kite.

White-tailed Kite, Elanus leucurus measures 15 inches long with a wingspan of 39 inches. 
He appears to be cleaning some left over prey between his talons. The rusty coloring on his chest will disappear when he matures.





 Close-up.

 Side view.

A parent flies into view and the youngster takes off hoping for a snack.



 A second youngster flies from a nearby branch begging for food
An adult flies into the area where her two youngsters are begging but she appears to be empty taloned.
She spots me and flies over slowly. Checking me out to be sure I am not a threat.


 The rusty spots on this adult are bloodstains from the prey she has killed.


Circles and flies east. The two fledglings follow her begging for food. I also move on to check out the rest of the trail.

Walking to the lookout point I spot a Great Blue Heron in the same area I saw an American Bittern last week.
This was a life bird for me!  American Bittern, Botaurus lentiginosus  measures 28 inches long with a wingspan of 42 inches.


As soon as he lands, he goes into the classic Bittern stance!
As I looked west from the lookout, I spot a Blue Grosbeak. This is the first time I have seen one in this area.

Looks like a 1st year youngster just coming into his blue adult colors.
Trying to get a closer shot,  I walk west but he flies off and I am left looking at a California Towhee delivering food to a youngster.
Close-up of the Towhee.
Spotting movement nearby, a Wrentit heads for his nest with a juicy morsel for his nestling.
Notice the pale iris. Both male and female look alike. Wrentit, Chamaea fasciata measures 6.5 inches long with a wingspan of 7 inches.

Last look at the Wrentit and I am ready to head for home. It's been a great morning and I hope to see the young Kites again and maybe even the elusive American Bittern!

Have a wonderful week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment