Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Is This a Life Bird at the Fountain?

To my delight the fountain has brought me lot of birding and photography opportunities. This morning may turn out to be extra special. I spotted a bird that looked slightly different. He followed an Orange-crowned Warbler to the fountain. The difference in the two birds was very subtle but the eyering was what caught my attention. 






A dull and overcast morning, I looked at the low shutter speed on my camera and wished that the sun would come out so it could be adjusted faster. All of a sudden an Orange-crowned Warbler flew to the fountain and he is followed by another bird that looked almost the same in size and color. The new visitor had a lighter yellow on the belly and a white eyering... it wasn't broken as on the Orange-crowned Warbler! Here is the new visitor on the right of the photo. The Orange-crowned (left) is very upset that he is nearby. 

Sorry it's blurry! But I barely had time to focus as he only stayed a few seconds. I wanted to get all of the angles possible for a better ID.
The Orange-crowned Warbler (left) is really upset that the new visitor is on his fountain.

Another close-up of the front. Could this be a Nashville Warbler?  If it is... this is a life bird for me!

The new visitor wants to use the fountain but the Orange-crowned threatens him. I keep snapping away hoping to capture all angles before he flies.
 
Finally I get a better focus and we can clearly see the eyering.  The new bird is just a little bit smaller than the Orange crown. 
Nashville Warbler, Oreothlypis ruficapilla, measures 4.75 inches long with a wingspan of 7.5 inches. Could this be a young female with greenish wings and pale yellow throat and breast?
A close-up side view. Gray head and yellow undertail coverts. I am hoping one of our experts will be able to let me know if I am looking at a "life bird" Nashville Warbler.

One last close-up of the gray head. The eyering is definitely connected all the way around. So what do you think?  Is this a "life bird" for me visiting the fountain?

1-31-2018 Update:  Great news! I just received confirmation from  Greg Gillson  that this beauty indeed is a Nashville Warbler!  Thanks again Greg for your help. 

A few shots of the Nashville Warbler in the fountain. 

 Another view. A look at her wings.
Close-up.
Splashing.
 A House Finch flies in and threatens.
One last look before he is chased off.

Have a super week everyone!


2 comments:

  1. Yep. Looks like Nashville. Pretty rare in winter. Good find! Good job with the ID!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You so much Greg for identifying the warbler visitor as a Nashville. It's a "Life Bird" for me! I have a giant smile on my face right now!!

      Delete