Friday, September 7, 2018

A Fish Fountain for the Lily Pond

I have been having a blast finding odds and ends and knickknacks at the thrift stores to make my solar fountains. A beautiful porcelain fish was my latest find to become the perfect fountain to highlight my lily pond. My plan was to attract more birds to my backyard. Here's a little video of the finished fountain:




 
Boy, was I pleasantly surprised when an Ash-throated Flycatcher landed on the fish fountain for a quick drink only a few days after installing it!



Here are some photos of my very special visitor that came to the backyard the other day. I spotted him perched in my plumeria tree.
 
It's an Ash-throated Flycatcher, Myiarchus cinerascens measures 8.5 inches long with a wingspan of 12 inches. He is not too sure about being so close to the open door of my dining area and flies towards my new fish fountain about 12 ft away. He lands in the avocado tree above the fish fountain as I follow him with my camera.

Under the avocado tree, there is a half completed dry koi pond that I have decided to use as my lily pond area. Using several 22 inch plastic half barrels, I placed a lily plant in each and added some mosquito fish filling the rest of the area with my orchids. The main feature of my pond area is the solar-powered fish fountain that I have recently completed and placed next to the lily pond.

A close-up of my first lily flower!

The Ash-throated Flycatcher has landed on the fish fountain. With some clouds in the sky, the solar fountain has slowed down to a few slow weak drops of water coming out of the tubing.

He sees me but appears to be calm.
 
Making sure I am not a threat.

Close-up.

Waits for a few seconds. I stay very still as he decides his next move.
He appears to be thirsty and decides to stay for the moment.

Close-up.

Gets a nice long drink.
 
Close-up.

I am so very pleased that he likes my new fish fountain!

One more close-up.

What a wonderful feeling when a project you create to attract more birds into your backyard really works!

He appears to be happy with his drink.

A nice pose.

He looks my way once more and flies off.  Wow, what a great morning this has been!
Have a super weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. What a joy to see your bird enjoying your fish fountain. I am enjoying your site. What a pleasure it was to meet you in the nursery! I'm looking for directions for your incredible solar fountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Denise. Hope you come and visit often.

      Delete