Thursday, September 13, 2018

A Mystery Bird Visit

Sometimes trying to identify a juvenile may be quite challenging but still exciting when a youngster flies into my backyard and gets my attention. A flurry of hurried movement as I lunge  for my camera and start clicking away to get as many shots as possible to ID this beauty. Take a look and see what you think.





A beautiful warbler type bird lands in my backyard. I scramble to fetch my camera.  Here are some shots of the "mystery bird".

Eyering appears to be complete.
Tail appears shorter than most warblers.  Seems to be too short to be a drab Orange-crowned Warbler or a young Common Yellowthroat.

Light yellow color area under the chin.

Blurry look at the tail. A warbler with so much yellow to the tip of the tail is an important field mark.

Nice full round head.

Darker on top of crown but light yellow on chin, neck and belly.

Nice thick bill. Looks fuller than an Orange-crowned Warbler. 
Close-up of the beak. Look at the bright yellow edging on the wing feathers.  A young Wilson's Warbler would appear more solid colored.

Good look at the eyering. 

Front angle. 
Cute pose. 

A good look at the legs and feet.

A look at the belly. 

Is there a slight streaking on the side of her chest?

This angle shows all the different shades of pale yellow and brownish/ tan color on the crown.  Nice pose.

A look at the top of body and tail. It does appear light brownish on the back.

A look at the tail. 

Nice look at the wings.

Side view. I can see a very soft streaking on her side.

Close-up and also a good look at the bill.  The eyes are so very dark.
This shot shows the tail is short . The top of her head and back is tan.

The streaking is barely visible.

Combing through my Sibley Guide to Birds, I believe this to be a first year female Yellow Warbler. I would love to hear if you agree or disagree.

Another close-up. 

She flew into my backyard with some Lesser Goldfinches.

A good shot of her side view. 
 
Off she goes. It is very exciting when I spot a bird that I have to really work to ID. Hope you enjoyed looking over this little beauty too. I will be looking forward to more visitors in the coming months. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Yellow Warbler. Good job on your identification!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your confirmation that it is a Yellow Warbler! I really appreciate it. It is so exciting when a bird shows up on my back patio and I say to myself "what is it"?

      I want to let you know that I have learned a lot form your blogs. You show us what to look for and how to ID the birds that you feature. Awesome amount of info in your blogs Greg! Thank you again for commenting.

      Delete