Wednesday, April 29, 2020

"Quarantime" in My Garden


Hope everyone is doing OK. I had a bout with the flu in mid-January and instinctively self-quarantined myself. This was before our lock-down took place. My puppy's appointment to get her spayed had to be canceled. What was interesting was that the gal at the vet's office told me everyone at the office was also fighting the flu. I have recovered fully from my flu with no antibiotics or a visit to a doctor and have started working in the backyard. My garden has never looked better since I have so much time while all the parks are closed. I have been fussing over my tiny container garden. Here are a few shots of my garden and some flowers that are in bloom this time of the year.








Here are some shots from my backyard. I have turned my rose garden into a container garden. Growing nicely are cucumbers, pole beans, carrots, chard, kale, celery, beets, squash, zucchini, pock choy and spinach. I have been eating many of the kale and carrots from the garden and have not had to buy any greens from the super market. I also have about 30 fruit trees which many are in containers.

 
This fig tree gives me the best tasting fruit ever! Sweet like honey.
My puppy is now almost 9 months old. She loves to help me garden but now she spends more time just lying around in the shade always keeping one eye open on my whereabouts. Here are a few shots of her intense stare. Such a smart little dog!


My beautiful Pomelo tree with lots of blooms.


LOL, this small bird feeder gets a little crowded.

All the birds in my yard need to keep a look-out for raptors. I can tell when one is near. All the birds go quiet and disappear! Here is a shot of a Red-shouldered Hawk circling above .

A lot of birds are busy visiting my backyard but the one that caught my eye was the brightly colored Hooded Oriole. Here are some shots I got before he flew off. Look at the bright orange on this beautiful bird. He glows like a ray of sunlight! Great to have him back for the summer!












A young looking female oriole was spotted on my avocado tree
The Orange-crowned Warbler is always a welcome sight searching for bugs on my trees.



 Double delight. One of the best old-time favorites. It has a wonderful fragrance.


I am delighted that my Satsuma tangerine is full of blooms. Last year it was too young and only produced 3 fruits.
The first lily bloom of the year! This is a mini lily.  It measures only abut 2 inches wide.




A few minutes ago, a pair of Bushtits stopped at the fountain. I kept a good eye on the two. These birds seem to drown easily. I think it's because the tail is so long. If they get to the deep part of the fountain and get their tail fully soaked. They are more likely to drown because the weight of the water appears to be too heavy to let them fly out of the water. Especially when the fountain is full with over a dozen taking a bath at the same time. I have found several drowned in the fountain last summer.
The female are the ones that have the light eyes. The one next to her with dark eyes is a male.
LOL, keep that long tail out of the water! These birds are tiny. They are the size of a hummingbird but their tail is super long.
 
Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe. Take care.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Josie,

    Nice pictures of your wonderful garden and dog. Your puppy has a look of intelligence about her. I miss my Mier lemon tree from down south! Below is not my current e-mail! =Mark=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Mark. I remember your lemon tree. I think it was 12 ft tall! Take care, Jo

      Delete
  2. Josie, you make my day. I can't stop smiling. I am doing o.k. Next week it will be one year already. I miss Gene so much. I know that you know how that feels. Keep these delights coming. I appreciate them. Love, Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Evelyn. Thank you for your nice comments. Yes, I know how it feels. It will be 7 years this month for me. Love, Jo

    ReplyDelete