Sunday, October 10, 2021

Morning with Swinhoe's White-eye

We are having some really nice weather in Southern California. As I walked out to my garden to check on my plants, I noticed some bird activity around the newly blossomed flowers on my Firewheel tree. The birds visiting the flowers are the small warbler type birds that are yellow-olive and have a distinctive white eye ring. They're called Swinhoe's White-eye. I have featured them in my blog before as they were perched in my neighbors' tree. But today, they came into my yard and were quite close. They are very shy, flighty, and hard to photograph. Just the clicking of my camera could make them take flight but the irresistible nectar of the flower was keeping them in one area. My grandson had just pruned the tree and left this branch of newly opened flowers for me to enjoy. Well, it looks like these white-eyes are also enjoying my Firewheel tree blossoms too! I had to stay quiet for quite a long time just to get some shots of these beauties. Here are some photos of these white-eyes enjoying the nectar from the flowers of my Firewheel tree. There were at least 4 of them but I was able to only capture 2 in the same frame. I also noticed that the white-eye would chase away the hummingbirds that wanted to get some nectar. I got a few shots of the hummingbird coming to the flower when they were not around.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Josie. Cut little bird! Glad that you are getting nice weather. Here we are alternating between a couple of days of rain, a couple of days of sun. Temps are in the low 60's and the leaves are falling after turning gold. My favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, thanks for visiting this blog site. These birds are really beautiful. Hope they do not damage our grape industry as they were suspected of doing when found in the eighties. They tried to irradiate them in San Diego in 1984 but some survived and now they are all over the southern California area. It will be interesting to see what happens to them now.

      Delete