Sunday, January 25, 2015

It's Black-and-White at San Elijo

It has been quite a while since I birded the east end of the Nature Center Loop Trail at the San Elijo Lagoon. There is a seasonal pond which we call the "duck pond" on the inside of the trail walking east past the boardwalk. I have heard from several local birders that there has been a hummingbird nest near the duck pond. I was determined to find the nest today.





Arriving at the San Elijo Nature Center soon after the gates opened, I was eager to get on the trails to see what bird subjects I could find but my goal was to find the Hummingbird nest that Eve had e-mailed me about. As I walked past the boardwalk going east on the trail, I saw a small bird that grabbed my attention. It was the Black-and-white Warbler!

Mniotilta varia, Black-and-white Warbler measures 5.25 inches with a wingspan of 8.25 inches. 

This is a common position that you'll find this Warbler in. They seem to enjoy looking at their world upside-down. They are constantly on the move, crawling up and down the tree trunk and branches gleaning insects as they go. Using a hunting/gleaning technique and creeping much like a nuthatch.
 
A good look at the top view.

Getting a look at the crown markings. 
 
I believe this Black-and-white Warbler is a sub-adult. The males in breeding plumage have uneven black coloring on their throat. This bird's throat is pale/white in color but lots of dark coloring on the auriculars, the short, fine feathers surrounding a bird's ear, located just behind and below the eye.

A nice side view.

It is in constant motion hunting for food. 

Looking... 

Got one!

A tasty bug.

Down the hatch. 
 
If birds could smile, I believe it would look like this. An adorable frontal view. 
 
A three-quarter view. 
 
As I was following the Black-and-white around I found the hummingbird sitting in her nest! Finding a nest feels like magic to me. I will be checking back to see when the eggs hatch. 

Getting another look at the Black-and-white Warbler as it checks out a branch near the hummingbird's nest. 

I finally get a shot of this bird facing right side up!

Close-up of this beautiful little warbler. 
 
Lol... back to upside down again. Found another bug to eat. 

This has been a wonderful birding day and following this little bird has been a lot of fun. 

One last shot as it checks the nooks and cranny of the bark for more insects. 
 
And wow, just when you think the day couldn't get any better... my camera finds this little nest nearby!  Finding two hummingbird nests in one morning has made this day a fantastic morning walk!

Getting a look from the east side of the nest and it's time for me to head for home. 

On my way to the parking lot I see a familiar bird. It's a male Ruby-crowned Kinglet!
 
I manage a quick shot as he flutters from branch to branch. 

Hoping to get a shot of the ruby colored plumage on his crown. 

Not flared up but you can definitely see that there is a bit of red plumage peeking out of the poll area. 

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

2 comments: