Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Panic at the Peninsula Pond

Jan. 12, 2015

Today, I started my walk at the San Elijo side of the Lagoon. Saw a pair of Hooded Mergansers and a few other ducks but not many other bird subjects around. Deciding to go to Rios to see if any new visitors have arrived... imagine my surprise when a Peregrine Falcon made his appearance!
 



My first stop was at the San Elijo Lagoon.  Walking up to the first overlook by the visitor center, I spotted a pair of Hooded Mergansers swimming by. Here is a shot of the female Hooded Merganser. One of my favorite birds!





Waited and hoped that the male Merganser would raise his beautiful hood but he never did. Soon he was out of camera range but I will keep trying to get that beautiful shot. I decided to go and see what new visitors were at Rios side of the lagoon.
As soon as I walked to the top of the Peninsula Trail on Rios, I saw what I was hoping to see -- lots of birds in the pond next to the Peninsula Trail and four new migrant visitors... the American Avocets! They were feeding and resting in the middle of the pond. A photo of a pair resting.
American Avocet, Recurvirostra americana measures 18 inches long with a wingspan of 31 inches. They like to feed in shallow ponds.They feed on small invertebrates by sweeping its bill side-to-side through the mud and water.
The Avocets in these photos are in their non-breeding plumage. When in breeding plumage, the head and neck is cinnamon colored. I love taking photographs of Avocets. They are so elegant and when they take flight, the wings and back will show a striking black and white pattern.
All of a sudden the tranquil setting turns into a panic scene. Wings go up and there is a scramble to get airborne.
All the birds in the pond are on high alert. I am keeping my camera on the Avocets appreciating the flight shots, not knowing why they are in a panic.
  
One glides by with muddy feet.
A pair leaves the water at the same time. This photo shows the black and white pattern on their back.
Male and female Avocets look alike except for the female's bill will be slightly more curved upward than the male. The one on the left appears to be a female.
All of a sudden one is diving towards the water. I am still looking through the camera lens so I do not know what is causing such distress.
Now it is pure panic. There is a dark shadow that passes over the Avocet.

Now the talons come into my frame and it is a bird of prey hunting the Peninsula pond!  A Dowitcher dives for its life.


Another Avocet flies out of the pond.
It's joined by another...
Looking for the bird of prey that has caused all the chaos... I finally get a focus on it... it's the Peregrine Falcon!
Flying by so fast it is almost impossible to follow this super hunter!
Clicking away with my camera, he spots me...
Turns hard and heads straight towards me for a good look.

Coming in straight.
Getting a good look.
Hello!
He turns and glides by...
  
One last glance to see what I'm up to...
Banks left .
Flies low towards the water surface.
The birds in the pond are absolutely panic stricken. They are almost frozen in fear. It appears that they have no choice but to stand their ground. A male Gadwall shows his displeasure at the sight of a bird of prey.
The Peregrine flies by between two Avocets.
The falcon peeks over his shoulder to see if I'm still around. 
Looking back.
My presence with my camera and lens may have distracted him from a kill.
He decides that he is going elsewhere to hunt and leaves the area heading west.

I get one last shot of the magnificent Peregrine Falcon as he passes by.
All is calm again at the pond. The Avocets have returned and the ducks are feeding.
The Avocets are still a bit nervous and keep a lookout for the falcon.
  
One shakes out his fear and relaxes in this tranquil setting.
  
Here is a good look at the shape of the bills... the one in the front of this photo appears to have slightly more upturn indicating that it is probably the female.
The Gadwall ducks have had enough excitement and take flight to find a more peaceful spot.
Another Gadwall male takes to the air. Only the males have the red coloring on the wings.
  
Dowitchers land but are still on alert.
One keeps his wings up as to be ready to fly again.
I head for home and as I was driving on HWY 101 I spot the Peregrine Falcon hunting a water bird at the southwestern part of the lagoon. I make a U-turn at the next light and head back to Rios! I had to see if I could get a shot of this Peregrine capturing his prey. I hurried down by the pump house and walked over to the lagoon by the highway. The Peregrine is still hunting. I see a Ruddy Duck but he dives as the falcon passes over.
Now I know what the Peregrine is hunting!  He wants that lone American Avocet... The Northern Shovelers stay close together.
As the Peregrine gets close, the Avocet dives underwater...
The Avocet is completely submerged like a diving duck!
The Peregrine flies over the spot and the Avocet holds its breath as the falcon swoops.
As the Peregrine passes by his prey, the Avocet surfaces for a breath.
Again the Peregrine comes back for the Avocet but the Avocet dives... now the Peregrine hovers over the submerged Avocet like a Osprey!
  
I have never seen a Peregrine hover like an Osprey before!
He hovers and hovers for quite a while but the Avocet remains underwater...
Now it's who gives up first... How long can the Peregrine hover? How long can the Avocet hold his breath?
It feels like a very long time but it is probably not much than a minute...
The Peregrine appears to be tiring of hovering... the Avocet is still underwater... he wins this round. The Peregrine flies to his perch and rests. Watching this hunting technique, I believe he isn't trying to grab the bird under water or in the water as an Osprey would a fish... he is trying to spook the bird into flight, that is when the Peregrine is king and can control the kill, it is too risky for this bird of prey to face the bird with a long bill head first. JMHO.
The Avocet surfaces and stays near the ducks. He knows if he flies, that will be the end. He can't out-fly the Peregrine, he is safer underwater. After resting for about 10 to 15 minutes the Peregrine comes back for another try at the Avocet and the same thing happens, the Avocet dives below the surface and the Peregrine hovers like an Osprey! The Peregrine tires and as soon as he moves forward, the Avocet surfaces behind him. This scenario repeats itself about half a dozen times... After watching for two hours the Peregrine finally gives up on this diving Avocet and heads east towards the freeway. It's time for me to go home too.
Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment