Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A Quick Visit to the Batiquitos Lagoon

Some people love the hot summer days and some stay indoors with the air conditioning on keeping cool until the heat wave breaks. I notice that some birds are like the beach goers and love the sunshine where others stay in the cool shade of the trees to beat the heat. As for me... walking under the large trees at the Batiquitos Lagoon is one way to keep cool and still do some birding too.
***************

Arriving at the Batiquitos Lagoon a little late because I checked out our San Elijo Lagoon first this morning and found it quite empty of birds. As the temperature started to climb, the decision to go for my walk at the Batiquitos Lagoon became more inviting. The tall trees that line the trail give birders, hikers, and joggers a break from the heat where you can rest under the shade of the big eucalyptus trees and feel the ocean breeze. I noticed that my first subject was staying cool also in the shade. A cute female Anna's Hummingbird strikes a pose. 
A Black Phoebe lands nearby with a dragonfly. Black Phoebe, Sayornis nigricans  measures 7 inches with a wingspan of 11 inches.
Slams it on the tree several times. 

Gives me a good look at his nice catch of the day. 
 Working on positioning it for the swallow. 
Squishing the head.
And now the swallowing of the prey. 
Going down the hatch. 
LoL... The dragonfly is a little long for this Phoebe and the tail sticks out a bit but I'm sure he will be fine. A nice big meal for this bird. 

After walking halfway to the freeway, I decide that it is too hot even in the shade of the big trees so it was time to start for home. I checked the rookery and found that there were two Great Egrets nestlings that still had not fledged! I will have to come back soon
to see their progress. Maybe see a feeding too. 
 
A finch stops on a branch holding his wings out to cool off. Boy, he is a mess to look at. Going through quite a molting. 
A close-up look at the molting finch. 
 A movement on the golf course gets my attention. It is the Red-shouldered Hawk. 
He must be hard up for prey, he has grabbed himself a Japanese beetle. One of those big green beetles that are flying everywhere you look. Hope he stays cool and gets back in the shade. Time for me to head for home and get a drink of ice cold tea!
Stay cool everyone and have a great weekend. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment