Thursday, August 13, 2015

Hunt for the Flavifrons

Visiting the San Elijo Lagoon Ecological Reserve is always a great experience for me because that's when I get to see the local birders and photographers. Today was an extra special day because not only did I get to visit with my photographer friends I also got to see two "life birds" at our beautiful lagoon!

**********

The word is out that Steve Brad had reported a rare Yellow-throated Vireo at the San Elijo Lagoon and I was eager to get a shot of it. Steve had already posted some beautiful PHOTOS that he had taken and spread the word in the birding community of the exact location of his find. You could feel the excitement and the energy of all the birders and photographers. This was something special and I knew I was witnessing a special event in the birding community. There must have been at least a dozen birders and photographers already there all hoping to get a glimpse of this rare sighting. It wasn't long before someone heard the call and spotted one near the boardwalk. I joined the birders and immediately spotted something in a nearby bush. I started taking shots of this little guy below but was informed by Steve that it was not the Yellow-throated Vireo that I just photographed but another Vireo called Hutton's Vireo. Well that was still an exciting shot because this was the first time I have seen one... another "life bird" for me! This is the photo of Hutton's Vireo. Vireo huttoni measures 5 inches with a wingspan of 8 inches. 
 
Side view.
 
Back view.
 
Everyone was on high alert. Listening and watching for any movement in the thick willow shrubs. Someone pointed out the Yellow-throated Vireo perched in a clearing about 30 ft away. But there was a wall of vines and thick branched bushes between us and the subject. I look and looked but couldn't find it. Seeing my distress in not being able to spot the subject, LOL... someone grabbed me by the shoulders and pointed me in the right direction and I finally got a shot of the Yellow-throated Vireo! Many thanks to all that helped me get a look and a shot of another "life bird" for me. The Yellow-throated Vireo, Vireo flavifrons measures 5.5 inches with a wingspan of 9.5 inches. This photo shows the dark area where he was perched.
 A grainy close-up but feeling lucky to get a shot before he flew away. 
 
Another shot and he was off to the thick growth in the center of the reserve. He was spotted a few more times but I was not in the area at the time. I thought hopefully he would stick around a little while longer for us to get a better look.


So the next morning I went back to San Elijo Lagoon to see if I could get another look at the Yellow-throated Vireo and I was not disappointed. The boardwalk area was full of a birding group led by Steve Brad looking to get a visual on this rare visitor. When I walked up to the group I was told that everyone had spotted it today and that it had been quite vocal and visual and that he was even posing in the sunlight delighting the birders. I was lucky enough to get put on the bird by two wonderful birders, Joan and Dan from Oceanside! Here are a few more photos that I took of our rare visitor the Yellow-throated Vireo. 
Yellow-throated Vireo are usually found in the forests of the eastern states so this is why we are so excited to see this visitor, a rare sighting for our area. They are hard to spot because they are usually in thick foliage.  However the male sings throughout the breeding season which can last through August and September making it easier to find. That is how Steve Brad and his bird count partner spotted this rare visitor Monday on our monthly bird count at the San Elijo Lagoon. They were on the east side of the Nature Center loop trail and heard it calling without luck. Eventually, Robert Patton, the San Elijo Lagoon bird count coordinator, came over to the trail and finally the vireo was spotted and photographed. 
They feed on mostly insects but may eat some berries. In the summer 1/3 of their diet may be caterpillars, moths, and butterflies. He also eats true bugs, scaled insects, aphids, leafhoppers, beetles, sawflies, tree crickets, dragonflies, cicadas, and others. Will eat berries in the winter. All info on the Yellow-throated Vireo is from the  Audubon Guide to North American Birds .
A female will lay 3-5 eggs which are incubated by both male and female pair and will hatch in 14 to 15 days. Both parents feed the nestlings. The young will fledge and leave the nest in about 14 to 15 days after hatching. The parent divide up the brood and each will care for part of the brood. Here is a good look at the underside of the Yellow-throated Vireo.

While trying to spot the Yellow-throated Vireo, this little guy kept showing up... our local Common Yellow-throat.  His yellow markings made me look to be sure of his ID.
 
Another yellow bird, the Orange-crowned Warbler was also in the area. 
 
A pleasant surprise when I discovered this sleepy Black-crowned Night-heron in the sycamore tree. 
 
Another bird that got me looking to see what it was... this is a Wilson's Warbler. Another beautiful yellow bird. 
Got a shot of this Orange-crowned Warbler reaching for some insects. 
 
Close-up of the warbler eating the insects. 
 
Taking a walk to the east side, this Cassin's Kingbird was perched on a branch near the trail. 
 A Black Phoebe with a nice big snack near the east entrance of the reserve. 
 
He slams it several times before consuming. It has been a super day for birding. To see two "life birds" in one morning was a fantastic experience, now it's time for me to head for home. 

Have a wonderful week everyone!
 

2 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you today, Jo!
    I am not patient enough for those little warblers, but I am looking forward to uploading my lizard and snake pictures!
    I did drive home on the 101 - what a lovely drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice meeting you today too. Loved your shot of the Lizard and your snake shot is amazing! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my blog. Stay in touch!

      Delete