Saturday, October 15, 2016

A New Peregrine Falcon at Rios?

All this week I have watched a young Peregrine Falcon falcon with "Tundra" type head markings have great success at hunting at the Pole Road in Rios. Wanting to get a shot of the falcon actually getting the prey and coming back to the pole with it in one peace,  I decided to get to the trails early enough and wait for the hunt. What a surprise it was to find out that the bird I watched for hours sleeping next to the pole was a different Peregrine than the one that I had seen the other day!






Thursday and it's looking like a wonderful clear morning. Scanning the area through the 400mm lens on my camera at San Elijo Nature Center, I spot the young northern Peregrine Falcon flying into the center of the lagoon patrolling his hunting grounds.

He moved swiftly as he came from the tallest telephone pole on Manchester Drive and made wide circles looking over his new hunting territory. He flies low to investigate something near the ground.

All of a sudden several crows enter the lagoon from the west and the Peregrine becomes aggressive. There is a chase and the crow is flying for his life. 
Oh my, you do not want to be that crow right now! The falcon spots his target. 

The crow is flying to escape the aggressive pursuit of the falcon. The Peregrine has made it clear that he isn't going to tolerate any harassment from the crows. They leave in a hurry. 
All of a sudden I see a large dark bird and it is in conflict with the Peregrine. By the time I focus the camera, I find the Peregrine in a full attack of our local Osprey.  The Peregrine has his talons raking across the Osprey's back.
The Osprey drops down to escape and the Peregrine sticks to him like glue. 

It is aggressively driving the Osprey away from his hunting area. In this photo, you can see the trail of feathers from the raking by the falcon.


The Peregrine is easily out maneuvering and  out flying the Osprey. The Peregrine passes by the Osprey as if he is standing still and circles around to set up for another attack.

The Osprey is very upset and cries out. 


The Osprey turns to get away from this aggressive falcon. The Osprey is heard sounding his alarm calls.

The Peregrine shadows the Ospreys every move as the Osprey tries to maneuver away from the falcon. 

The Osprey is not used to being pushed away from his territory. He decides to take another look at the aggressor. 



Turns towards the falcon. 


Not a good idea. The Peregrine threatens with exposed talons. 


The Osprey has had enough from the falcon. He calls out alarm calls as he flies defensively.

He is shadowed every which way by the fastest bird in the world. 

 
The message is clear. The falcon can be very dangerous and needs to be avoided by the Osprey. 


The Cormorants on the wire watch the show with necks extended. 

The Osprey drops away as if to say I don't want to fight with you.
 
One last rush at the Osprey by the falcon. Probably saying something like "don't mess with me again".

Osprey gets the message and leaves.


The Peregrine speeds across the trestle area with top speed. It's hard to keep track of him. 

Turns and heads southeast. 
 
Now he is in the middle of the lagoon flying fast. 


He is on a mission. 

Flies aggressively

The target is in front of him. 

Flies so quickly towards the hawk that it is forced into a defensive roll.


Looks like the young Red-shouldered Hawk. He quickly puts more distance between him and the Peregrine. 


The Peregrine has made his point and comes back towards the telephone poles. He flies to the far south pole and looks to be ready to hunt. He has cleared his hunting territory of any potential distractions. I decide to go across the lagoon to Rios Ave to see if I can catch him hunting and bringing his prey to the pole. 

By the time I parked the truck and walked to the west side of the Rios trail, I am too late! The Peregrine has already made a kill and is in the process of consuming his prey. Looks like another grebe but can't be sure on this one. But the size and coloring fits. 


He is a beauty. 
I take a few more shots and leave him alone to eat in peace. 


Last look at the light markings on his head. 


After about an hour of birding towards the north end of the Pole Rd Trail, I come back to the Peregrine and notice he is done eating and ready to fly. He takes off and I head for home. What a fabulous bird. I hope he sticks around for a while. Maybe I can come back early tomorrow to see him hunt. 

Friday morning and I'm back early but the Peregrine is acting differently. He has his wings out almost like a Cormorant soaking in the morning warmth. Maybe he flew a lot and needed to rest them. I am far away and can only see him through my camera lens. 

I come up past the pole and notice he is sleeping. I keep walking and he doesn't move for hours. 


A shot of his face.

Last shot of this falcon. I stand far away from him giving him lots of space to go hunt. I wait and wait over an hour but all he does is sleep. I finally give up on seeing any hunting by this sleepy bird and head for home. What a surprise it was for me when I put the photos up on my computer! This photo shows that he is a regular Pacific Peregrine Falcon. A full adult with yellow nostrils . He is not the one I have been watching all week hunting the grebes. This guy even perches in a different place. Apologies to the two birders that I talked to telling them that I had been watching this guy all week and he appeared to be a young Tundra type of Peregrine. They had a scope and probably thought I was nuts. I wish I knew what happened to the Peregrine from up north that I have been watching all week. Hope he is OK. This adult had a little blood on his nostrils like he was in some kind of a altercation. Hope it wasn't with our youngster. I will be keeping an eye out to see what happens on Rios next!
 
Have a good day everyone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment