Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Peregrine Falcons at Rios Pole Road

What a beautiful fall morning and not a cloud in the sky. Some Southern Californians call this weather "Indian Summer". Couldn't wait to see what raptor might be hunting at the Rios Pole Road Trail today. I had spotted a Peregrine hunting the Pole Trail from the visitor center on Sunday so my hope was that he was also going to be around today to hunt in our lagoon.






The parking at North Rios Ave was already filling up fast. As I hurried down the west trail, I snapped a shot of a bird in the willows below that appeared to be a Hutton's Vireo.

Back view. 
 As I neared the observation bench overlooking the peninsula trail, I noticed three birders with scopes and cameras. They were there for the monthly bird count for the San Elijo Lagoon. The group came up the trail. We exchanged pleasantries. The group had spotted many birds already which made me eager to get going. We all started moving towards the Pole Trail, everyone alert for bird movements in all directions. Quickening my pace and wishing them good counting,  I informed the group that I was moving ahead to check for raptors. Passing the third pole going north, I spotted a nice looking Ridgway's Rail next to the trail. 

A Semipalmated Plover lands nearby. There were many shorebirds but mostly out in the middle of the lagoon way too far for the camera. 
Spotting a Raptor on the telephone pole, I pick up my pace. 
But soon he decides to fly.

Off he goes.
Past the telephone wires.
 
This beautiful Peregrine Falcon looks like it is coming into its adult plumage. Probably this is his 2nd winter. By the markings of his face and the white bib on his chest, he is a "Tundra Peregrine" migrating to our area for the winter.

Peregrine Falcon, Falco peregrinus  measures 16 inches long with a wingspan of 41 inches. 

A look at his "mustache".

He puts on the gas and disappears over the railroad tracks. Probably going to the west side of the tracks to hunt there. 
I was so delighted that I got some flight shots that I wasn't paying attention to much around me. Scanning through the photos that I just took, I finally look up and there is a raptor on the telephone pole towards the end of the Pole Road. It's the Peregrine!  He has made a kill and I missed his approach with the prey because I was too busy reviewing my shots! Another good lesson that I learned today. Never take your eyes off the ball, or the bird!

Rushing over on the very uncomfortable gravel trail, I finally get to see what he is eating. It's a grebe and from the coloring of its wings and underside, I suspect it is an Eared Grebe. 

The Peregrine proceeds to de-feather his prey. 

Eats quickly.

I get as close as possible to get a shot of his face. 

LOL, he gives me a good look-over too. 
More de-feathering.

Several people walked past and soon the Peregrine is off with his prey looking for a more quiet place to finish his meal.

I see movement behind me as I start to make my way to the next pole. It's an Eared Grebe slowly swimming in the tide channel next to the Pole Road. I have a feeling that the Peregrine's prey was its friend or mate. He doesn't fly away but decides to take a nap instead. 

I walk up to the next telephone pole where the Peregrine has landed and stay far enough away to let him enjoy his meal in peace. All done and his crop looks quite full.

He appears to be tracking something. My first thought was I hope he isn't interested in any more food today and that the other Grebe wouldn't be on the menu.

The Peregrine keeps tracking something. 

Suddenly he takes flight. Look at his huge crop!

He almost looks clumsy in flight. He is really full and probably wants to rest to digest his food somewhere quiet. 

The Peregrine comes back to his pole and looks agitated. 

Something is upsetting him.

 
I scan the area and a dark streak flies past the tide channel. This is the reason for the agitation by our Peregrine! It's a juvenile Peregrine hunting the mudflats!

This one looks like it could be one of our fledglings from Torrey Pines State Beach! 

He buzzes by.  Not afraid of the camera.

Lands right in front of me!

What a beauty. 

Gives me a look-over.


Wow, what an intense bird.

Looks a little thin, hope he is getting enough to eat. 

A good look at his beak. It is still bluish looking. When he is an adult his nostril area will be yellow. 
 
The "Tundra" Peregrine looks like he wants a nap. 

The juvenile takes off and chases a flock of shorebirds. Here I get a shot of his takeoff.
 
A good look at the beautiful coloring of his juvenile feathers. 

He gives chase to some shorebirds but soon heads south towards Del Mar following the shoreline.
Hope to see more of this youngster. 

Making my way back to the parking area, I hear the distinctive call of a very agitated American Kestrel . I found her on the pole south of the pump station. 

She hears my camera snapping and takes a look but soon goes back to her alarm calls.

An Osprey stops by near the railroad track to see what all the alarm calls are about.

There is the reason for the agitation. A big juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk has entered the Lagoon and a male Kestrel is harassing it.

As the male Kestrel chases off the Hawk, he heads straight for the Osprey and proceeds to chase him off too. The Female Kestrel must be very impressed with this aggressive male. She has not stopped calling out her alarm. 

I know the Red-tailed Hawk is hiding in one of the large pine trees on the cliff overlooking the lagoon and as soon as I approach the area near the tree, she makes a break for it and soars above. 

She is on the lookout for the Kestrels. 

I get to have a few shots of this beauty as she flies in a lazy circle finally heading east and disappearing over the cliffs. 

What a huge Red-tailed Hawk! Look at the beautiful markings. 

Wings fully extended. What a beautiful sight! I decide to go home for today and come back tomorrow to see if I can catch the Peregrine hunting.

Arriving about 8:30 am the next morning at North Rios. The weather was overcast and dark with lots of low clouds. All the parking was taken and by the time I found a parking space on the next street over and made my way to the Pole Road, I was too late. The Peregrine had already made his kill and was busy de-feathering. 
I try to get a shot of the prey and get closer to the pole but the Peregrine sees a jogger with a dog and decides to take flight. That is ok with me because it gave me a chance to get a few flight shots and to take a look at the prey item. Looks like another Eared Grebe. 
He flies off to the west side of the railroad tracks. 


It's an overcast morning and the lighting is quite bad but you can see the prey is a grebe. 
Deciding  to wait near the pole to see if the Peregrine would come back. The horn of the approaching train tells me that it will be passing by very soon. Sometimes the train noise is just enough to unsettle the raptor to flush it from his perch. Sure enough, the train passes and the Peregrine decides his telephone pole is a better place to eat. He is heading back to the pole still clutching his prey.

Coming in for a landing.
 
A good look at the underside.

He is focusing on the top of the pole.

Few flaps of his powerful wings and he is approaching the landing area. 

Almost there. He frees his left talon from the prey. 


As he flaps his powerful wings to the top, he reaches his free left talon towards the landing. 

 
Floats down nicely. 

A beautiful landing still hanging onto his prey nicely. I am glad I decided to try again this morning. Even though I didn't capture any shots of the Peregrine hunting, I still had a great morning getting some flight shots of this beautiful raptor. Now it's time for me to get home. 

Almost to the pump house and I just about tripped on this little guy. He darted out of the bush right in front of me! I love birding at Rios!
Have a wonderful week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment