Friday, October 7, 2016

Loggerhead Shrike Hunting, Osprey Fishing

Went up to Santa Cruz for a little vacation and all  I have to say is as much as I enjoyed the trip up north, I sure love being back home! The scenery was absolutely gorgeous! I saw a lot of birds but nothing unusual on my trip and most of the photos I took were way too far to show. So my first blog after my vacation is to show you what I saw at San Elijo Lagoon and an afternoon trip to Rios Pole Trail on the south side of the lagoon.





Busy trying to unpack my van from my road trip up north, I glanced out my kitchen window. He was sitting on the telephone wire in the back ally. I ran for my camera and managed to snap a few before he took flight.

What a beauty, it's a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk. Buteo lineatus measures 17 inches long with a wingspan of 40 inches. Males and females look alike but the females are larger. When this beauty becomes a full adult, its chest will be solid orange. This youngster still has his first year barring on his chest. I see a pretty heart pattern all over his chest but his prey sees only danger! This raptor appears to have just finished a meal. His beak is still covered with down feathers. 
I arrived at the San Elijo Visitor Center hoping to see interesting bird subjects but mainly to say hi to my birding friends. As I visit with my friends, look who flies over calling and being very vocal. It's a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk. I really believe this is the same bird that was on my telephone wire. 

A Black Phoebe also sees the hawk flying into the Nature Reserve. 

A House Wren appears very upset. 

Keeping an eye on the hawk.

He lands in the large snag in the middle of the Reserve and has a lot to say. The Red-shouldered Hawk is a very vocal raptor. This one called and called for over an hour before he was chased off by a couple of local Red-tailed Hawks.

The Black Phoebe is also hungry and looking for insects to catch. Feeling that the hawk is far enough away to relax and hunt for breakfast, he starts searching for prey. 

Off he goes fluttering and maneuvering effortlessly like a butterfly. 

Comes back to its perch and scans the area for more bugs.

The calling of the Red-shouldered Hawk must have spooked this Ridgway's Rail "formally known as the California Clapper Rail". He flies across the tide channel "clanging" all the way. 

He keeps the alarm going all the way across the tide channel until he disappears into the pickleweeds. Notice he barely clears the water as he flies almost like a child not wanting to let go of the ground when learning to ride a bike for the first time. LOL this bird is always like this no matter how mature he gets. They just have an awkward looking flight. 

A Willet wants to know what all the alarm is about and flies in onto a kelp pile. I love the beautiful black and white marking on the wings of this otherwise very dull looking shorebird.

He takes his time to bring his wings down. You can see a Spotted Sandpiper fly by as the Willet keeps his wings in full display. 

Still has his wings up. What a beauty!

The Spotted Sandpiper, Actitis macularius measures 7.5 inches long with a wingspan of 15 inches.

You can see this bird bobbing his rear-end up and down. He darts around looking for insects in the kelp. 

Found one! This Spotted Sandpiper appears to be a juvenile. There is no evidence of any spots now but an adult in breeding plumage will have lots of spots on the belly and neck. 
 
Movement over the water catches my attention and it is the Black Phoebe hunting for insects. He dips his beak into the water as he goes after something tasty.
He can hover or flutter like a butterfly.

Black Phoebe, Sayornis nigricans measures 7 inches long with a wingspan of 11 inches. The Phoebe's flying ability is amazing. 
 
He can fly quickly chasing a bug over the water surface.

Or stall instantly and change directions on a dime.
It is really difficult to follow his flight pattern as he hunts for his breakfast.
 
I get lucky and get a flight shot. 

Like a fan dancer it is a beautiful sight to see. 

Coming back to his lookout perch to search for more bugs. It's time for me to go to Rios to see what is over there. 
 
I love birding the San Elijo Lagoon on the Solana Beach side of the lagoon. The parking area is at the end of North Rios Avenue and the trail-head is nearby. You can go east towards the freeway or follow the trail west and go on the Pole Road Trail. I took the Pole Road Trail today and immediately ran into a Lesser Yellowlegs. He looked like a juvenile with lots of grey and not much marking on his front and belly area. 

Lesser Yellowlegs, Tringqa flavipes measures 10.5 inches long with a wingspan of 24 inches. He pokes and jabs quickly at the water looking for aquatic bugs. 

A close-up.

A female Belted Kingfisher is spotted flying quick and low. 
Slams into the water and comes up quickly. 
And off she goes. She makes that distinctive "rattling call" as she flies by. 
As I walked over towards the train trestle, I saw a bird that I have not seen since two winters ago. Wow, I love this bird, it's the Loggerhead Shrike! Also known as the "Butcher bird" because it is known to hang its prey on thorn or sharp twig or even barbed wire for later consumption.
 
Loggerhead Shrike , Lanius ludovicianus measures 9 inches long with a wingspan of 12 inches.
Looking for prey. They feed on grasshoppers and other insects, lizards, small birds and rodents. 
He spots something. You can see that he has a raptor-like bill. They are a predatory songbird.
A close look at this fascinating bird. 
A good look at that raptor-like bill. They have a short but strong hooked bill made for ripping and tearing its prey.
Making sure I don't get too close.
With his black marking around his eyes, it is not easy to see his eyes. 
 
He is focused on something and flies off.
He soon returns to the wire with a grasshopper. 
Uses his talons to hold the grasshopper as he tears pieces of the prey for consumption.
A good look at his underbelly.
One last shot of this very special bird and I head back east towards Rios Ave.
 
Reaching the highest point of the lookout near the peninsula trail, I see a Great Egret acting alert who soon flies off.
A place I didn't expect to see an Osprey searching for prey. The lagoon is now at high tide and it is mostly underwater but it is very shallow as you can see in the photo above. The Great Egret is in the water but his knee is still plenty dry. This Osprey is in a hunting mode and he is searching.

My goodness, he goes into a dive but the water is so shallow I am wondering how he is going to dive into it. 



He is ready! Look at his unlocking talons!
Bam! Splash! The Osprey has gone in about leg deep into the lagoon right below the lookout point on Rios! He has hit the water full force about chest deep (I'm guessing approx 12 inches at most!) and springs straight out.
Wow, look at all the fish in the turbulence of the white water!
Mud stirs at the area of impact. 
His powerful wings keep pumping.
A close-up of fish grabbed and on the loose. 
Look at the muddy turbulence! It shows how shallow this place is.
The Osprey pumps his powerful wings getting lift and is on his way.
He is an expert fisherman. A fish is seen trapped in his talons. 
Lovely wings extends the full length. You can clearly see the fish in his talons now. "One small fish in talon is better than a giant one in the pickleweeds!" Remember what happened to him with the extra large fish a few weeks ago. I think it left an impression on him too.
It is not unusual for an Osprey to catch more than one fish if the fish are found in a grouping. 
What a fantastic birding day it has been. Seeing the Loggerhead Shrike hunting and this magnificent Osprey fishing has made my day!
 
I am so grateful to be home seeing such beautiful birds so close to home. There's no place like home!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
 

2 comments:

  1. In a single word...WOW. I also love the little phoebes who are so gregarious and I swear they want to be seen. I have them in my Banker's Hill urban neighborhood and have seen them in every corner of this big county!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Phoebes too! :) Thanks for your comment Winnie.

      Delete