Monday, November 14, 2016

Birding at the San Diego River

I was told that there was a Burrowing Owl spotted at the San Diego River Estuary by a birder visiting our lagoon the other day. I mentioned that I would love to see one. It would be a life bird for me. Within hours, Eve emails me saying she heard that I was interested in seeing the owl! Would I like to go birding to see if it was still there? No need to ask me twice! Leaving for the San Diego River early, we arrived at the birding site about 9:00 am.






Eve wasn't quite sure where she had spotted the Burrowing Owl but pointed in the general direction as she fussed with her binoculars stored in the trunk of her car. I started walking and scanning the area. Within 30 seconds, I'd located him and taken a dozen shots! I turned and walked away quietly so as not to disturb him. Here are some shots of the Burrowing Owl, a life bird for me!
 
Burrowing Owl, Athene cunicularia measures 9.5 inches long with a wingspan of 21 inches. What a beauty.  Look at this "Angry Bird" look!

With only a slight difference in size, behavior, and color, males and females look alike.

They do not dig burrows but take over burrows that have been used by mammals. In our area in California, there are lots of ground squirrel burrows that they can take and use for roosting or nesting. 


 
Burrowing Owls tend to return to their burrows each year. They hunt insects, small rodents, small birds, and sometimes amphibians.


Nesting season begins in late March to early April. 


Burrowing Owls may lay up to 14 eggs but only 4 or 5 may survive. Chicks hang out around the nest burrows for about 3 months. In rare cases, a male may have two mates. (Ref: California Chaparral Institute).


One last look at this adorable owl. I leave quietly hoping that he stays safe.


Feeling grateful and thrilled at finding the owl!  LOL, walking up to Eve as she was still fussing with her binoculars, I said "We can go home now!" Eve's eyes lit up and with a huge smile on her face she said, "You found him!" I pointed to the area where I'd spotted the owl so she could get a good look with her binoculars now neatly secured around her neck. 

And now it was time to look in the sandy lots on the north side of the road for our other target bird of the day, the Horned Lark. We almost immediately spotted a flock of Horned Larks, another life bird for me!


Horned Lark, Eremophila alpestris measures 7.5 inches long with a wingspan of 12 inches. These shots were taken from outside a chain link fence marking a restricted tern breeding area. This was as close as I could manage but you can see the black and yellow markings on these birds.


A frontal shot of a Horned Lark walking while the rest of the flock is busy foraging for breakfast.


Eve decided to cross the road to the trail along the river to see if there were any interesting subjects there. She immediately called and pointed to this beauty. A beautiful Little Blue Heron looking for breakfast!


As I was watching the heron, I noticed a good-sized bird coming straight towards us staying close to the shoreline. Focusing my camera lens, I was delighted to see that it was a juvenile Black Skimmer. He has his lower bill dipped in the water.


He has his wings stretched out gliding over the water surface.


Black Skimmer, Rynchops niger measures 18 inches long with a wingspan of 44 inches. That is one amazing set of wings.


He glides just above the surface of the water looking for fish.


He opens his mouth and dips his lower bill into the water. His bill is so sensitive that he will clap it shut as soon as he feels any prey touching his lowered bill.


Shooting into the sunlight, I keep shooting, hoping to capture this beautiful youngster flying by.


He flies towards us focused on the water below.


A beautiful look at his long wings and juvenile plumage.


Now he is almost directly in front of us.


He lowers his neck and his lower bill slices through the water. 
Skimming


Close look at the "skimming" by this youngster. You can see how shallow the water is.


He lifts slightly and keeps a steady course west. 


Down goes his lower beak. 


Close-up. Being this close to a skimmer is so very awesome. I feel so very lucky to be here this morning to see this beautiful sight.


Believing  that was all  I was going to see of the skimmer, I was ready to move on to check out the east end. All of a sudden, Eve alerts me that the skimmer is coming our way again. Here he comes, still hugging the shoreline of the river.


Oh my, he is  coming straight towards us!


He flaps his powerful wings a few times and goes into a nice glide. 


Puts on the brakes and slows down right in front of me!


What a treat! He has decided to land right in front of me. 


He passes me so close I can feel the air around him.


He breaks and lowers his legs (his landing gear.)


He finds the spot he wants to land on.


The landing. 


Beautiful wings make for a soft and well controlled landing. 


He is so close, I back up a few steps but his wings are still out of frame. 


Now he folds his beautiful long wings and fits into my camera frame. 


Last look at the youngster. Hope he gets a little rest and stays safe. I back away and walk west on the road.


The Little Blue Heron never even flinched when the skimmer flew in. He was very focused on getting his breakfast.





Now a Willet flies in right next to the heron but the heron doesn't break his focus looking for fish.


Getting a meal is very serious business. Time for us to go check out the area near the bridge.








Looking out from the bridge area I spot a few Bufflehead ducks.


Lots of Ruddy Ducks and a Western Grebe appear to enjoy their company.


Looking southwest, I see lots of gulls and several White Pelicans.


A nice group of American Avocets flies by.


Eve points out a Meadowlark perched on a chain link fence.


Walking east, we see lots of American Wigeons and maybe one Eurasian Wigeon facing right. A Red-breasted Merganser is also seen.


Several Western Grebes swims by and soon the Red-breasted Merganser joins them. 


Blue-winged Teals flew by.


Northern Shoveler leads as a pair of Cinnamon Teals fly by. It's been a fantastic morning birding at the San Diego River, now it's time to head home. 


Have a beautiful week everyone!
 

2 comments:

  1. Jo, I stumbled upon your blog while looking for kite photos and you have wonderful photos here! I walk the lagoon fairly frequently (we live in Encinitas) and I have never seen what you seem to come across on a daily basis. Well done.
    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome George to our blog. Thank you for your kind words and hope you will visit often. See you out birding!

      Delete