Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Birds of November at Rios, Part 1

Birding has been fantastic this week at the Rios West trail at San Elijo Lagoon. Here are some photos of the "Birds of November" Part 1. Also, here is a link to  IWS Loggerhead studies in San Clemente Island off California.






Some shots of a Loggerhead Shrike. The Shrike in flight hunting for prey.
Trying to keep him in the frame.

Darts with wings folded to get speed.

Spots his prey.
Now he puts on the brakes and hovers.

In an instant, our Shrike gets his prey.  His body twists as he plucks it out of a bush with his beak.

He brings it back to his perch.

It's a grasshopper.






He flies off looking for another bug.


Settles on another dead branch.

I walk up as close as possible.

He flies over to another snag.


This time he allows me to get a lot closer.





He sees another bug and takes flight.

Grabbing a bug.

He keeps going and soon I lose track of him.

As soon as the Loggerhead Shrike disappears, the young Red-tailed Hawk appears.
Lands on the condo roof near the trail. Notice the pale eye which will darken as the young bird matures.
 
Spots something interesting on the ground.

Takes off. See the dark crescent-shaped patches under the "shoulder"?  That identifies her as a Red-tailed Hawk. 

Glides down.

Lands at the edge of the cliff next to the trail.

Playing with twigs.

Looks over towards me...
 
Swoops straight over my head.
Coming by very close.


Stops about eight feet away and hovers facing my way.

She is so close that there is no cropping. Full frame!

 I have never been so close to a wild raptor before.
 Beautiful!

A  close-up.

Flaps her wings a few more times.

She must have spotted a prey that she is trying to locate.

Looks very intense.

I keep clicking, wanting to share this moment with all of you. She is a very special bird.
This was an amazing encounter and I will never forget this moment!

She flies off and lands on a nearby post.

I walk up quietly to get a few more shots.

The young Red-tailed Hawk looks over her territory.

A take-off shot as she leaves her perch.

Off she flies. What a great birding day this has been. Have a great week everyone and please check back to see Part 2.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - I just wanted you to know that I ADORE your site. I've been a birder since I was 10 and birds of prey are my most favorites. I live here in San Diego and San Elijo is where I love to go. So your photos and descriptions are like slices of heaven for me. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina for your nice comments about this blog site. Hope you will visit often. Good birding to you and Happy Thanksgiving Day! :)

      Delete