Monday, January 14, 2019

A Morning Visit by a Raptor

The rain-clouds are already overhead and the weather report has promised us rain today. As I sit at the dining table with my hot tea, I see a quick movement near the fountain. I grab for my camera and get ready. It's the shy little Ruby-crowned Kinglet!  He slowly inches his way to the fountain and proceeds to have a little morning bath. But the tranquil moments of the usual morning routine are quickly shattered when a raptor decides to check out my backyard!






The weather forecasters have promised another rainy day here in southern California. It is much needed and appreciated by all. I sit at the dining table checking out the photos from yesterday wondering if you would like to see two beautiful Ospreys circling over my yard. They called and circled for about 20 minutes which could have been a territorial dispute or maybe a courtship display. I took many shots holding my camera straight up. But I had decided that shots of Ospreys looking straight up at them as they soared were not that interesting so I closed up my computer and sipped my hot tea looking out the dining room glass door. A quick movement near the fountain catches my attention. I grab for my camera and it is the Ruby-crowned Kinglet. He is such a cutie and I can't resist taking some shots as he enjoys his morning bath.
 
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Regulus calendula measures 4.25 inches long with a wingspan of 7.5 inches.

Only the males have the ruby color crown. The ruby crown is usually concealed but may display the ruby crown when upset or in mating display.

Because the light was so low and my camera's speed set at 1/250 , every flicker and movement of the subject is blurred.


He has become a regular at the fountain and I spot him all over my yard hunting for bugs. I would call him my winter resident kinglet because he is here every day!

Now the rain has arrived. I spot the resident Allen's Hummingbird enjoying the sprinkles of water that softy land on his plumage. I walk just outside the sliding glass door and take a few shots. I have to be careful to keep my camera dry. A few raindrops fall on my camera and I quickly wipe them off. I have a two foot overhang above the door to protect me from the rain so I hug the dry area and focus on the hummer.



Suddenly, the hummer flies off as do all of the birds that were busy foraging in the yard. A large bird lands about 12 feet from where I am standing and in an instant I realize it is a raptor!

I am standing as still as possible. It appears he has not spotted me nearby. It is a Cooper's Hawk and what a beauty he is! This is full frame!

Close-up. Cooper's Hawk, Accipiter cooperii measures 16.5 inches long with a wingspan of 31 inches. His plumage and the red eye color in this photo shows that this is a mature male adult.

He hears the clicking of my camera but I stand as still as possible and he settles down. I look to see if there is anything in his talons. No I don't see anything. Thank goodness!

He turns from his awkward perch on the tiny guava tree and hops on top of the solar lantern holder.


Close-up.

A look at his talons.




Oh good, he is going to turn around.


What a beauty!

Close-up. He is gorgeous!

He is so close I barely get him all in a frame.

Close-up. Look at those talons!


Wings out for balance.


A look at his under tail.

He takes a good look at the surroundings.



Close-up.

He looks around for the last time and flies off. This is the reason I only put 15 minutes worth of feed in the bird-feeder and feed at all different times of the day. I know this lovely raptor needs to have his meal but I don't want my yard and bird-feeder to be his easy meal. I wish him well and to stay safe. What a lovely bird. I feel very lucky that I was at the right place and with my camera ready in hand for this amazing raptor encounter.

Have a wonderful week everyone and stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. LOL...yes he was! I couldn't have asked for a better posing.He was in the clear. Usually when they are perched in a tree, there always appear to be branches or leaves in the way. It sure was exciting. I'm not sure if I took a breath until he flew off. Too focused on trying to keep my camera steady since I was free hand shooting. No stabilizer in this camera and shooting at a very low speed.

      Delete