Thursday, January 24, 2019

An Osprey's Quick Visit

The sky was bright blue. Today was one of those incredible clear winter mornings. Deciding to check on my rose garden and taking my camera with me as I was hoping to spot some interesting bird subjects. LOL, I have been called a "super optimist" by a good photographer friend because I am always hopeful I will see some interesting bird subjects and never give up on finding some. Even if it's my own back yard!







Admiring the new red rose that just bloomed this morning, I heard a very familiar sound. I turned and looked up but saw nothing in the sky. I know what I heard, it's the soft distinct chirp of an Osprey! Looking east from the rose garden, I spotted an adult male Osprey perched atop my neighbor's star pine. I quickly take a few shots and decided to see if I could get a closer look from the deck over my garage. The tall star pine is located about 25 feet from my deck. Standing on the deck, I click away taking shots of this handsome adult Osprey. I believe he is our resident male that claims San Elijo Lagoon as his territory. 
Many raptors have perched on this star pine but this is the first time I have seen an Osprey perched here.



At first, I thought he had a fish in his talons and was eating something. But the more I studied his behavior, I decided he appeared to be bringing up a pellet. Also clearing his nostrils of salt water. I hope all is well with this Osprey and that he is otherwise in good health.




Shots from the deck.



Bubbles coming out of his nostrils?

Coughing up a pellet?



He spots me with my camera clicking away.

I speak softly to him and wonder if he remembers me from my walks to the lagoon.

He sure is starring at me. What a sweet bird.

Eye to eye!

LOL, he sways his head from side to side, giving me quite the look-over.

Hi there!


Hello!!

Another struggle with something in his throat.


One big sneeze.


A bird flies close by in a quick attack but the Osprey wing slaps at it and the attacking bird moves on.

I follow the bird with my camera and find that it is a Kingbird. I am shooting straight into the sun but wanted the identity of the attacking bird.

Appears to be a Cassin's Kingbird.

I see the Osprey drop his crop. He must be done with expelling the pellet.

He give his surroundings a good look. Now he appears to be ready to take flight.

This is full frame! He decides to fly right over me. He is heading towards the lagoon.

Close-up.

Hello!

More full frame.

Close-up.
 
A shot of his talons as he flies over my roof.

Rushing down stairs and looking southwest from my patio to see if he landed nearby. I can see the top five feet of the star pine that is half a block away south of my house. The Osprey is there perched on the tip of this huge star pine down the street. I say goodbye to our wonderful Osprey from San Elijo Lagoon and hope he will be back soon. Yes, I am very optimistic he will return!

Have a great weekend everyone!
 

2 comments:

  1. I want your backyard - thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. You are one fortunate lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so very fortunate to have a backyard that has good sun exposure. I can grow almost any type of plants here. Fruits and flowers brings birds and they love the fountains too. :)

      Delete