Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Snowy Plovers at Seaside Beach

I have heard about the federally protected Snowy Plovers nesting at Seaside Beach from Eve but never birded there before. Yesterday, a friend had walked by the sand dunes at Seaside Beach in Cardiff State Beach and noticed the plovers and their temporary protective fenced area during his walk. When I heard the description of these little shorebirds, I was sure he was talking about the Snowy Plovers!  Eager to take a look for myself I decided to go to Seaside Beach to find these precious little plovers. What a great way to start of the new year birding and taking shots of a "life-bird" for me. The Snowy Plovers at Seaside Beach!







Here are some shots of the Snowy Plovers that I took staying outside of the protected area. 
Snowy Plover , Charadrius nivosus measures 6.25 inches long with a wing span of 17 inches
Nice green leg tag on this little guy. The black side patches identifies this Snowy Plover as a Adult in breeding plumage.

This sign is posted on the perimeter of the protected area fencing.


Thin bill which is always black.
The Snowy Plover shown sitting in front of a Sanderling.
This one has a leg band, too.




An Osprey hunting for breakfast in the San Elijo Lagoon on the east side of Highway 101 at Rios Ave catches my attention.



More shots of the Snowy Plovers but this one has a resting Sanderling in the center of this photo.

Snowy on the left.












Lots of leg tags!

 
Time to say goodbye to these beauties. The wind was quite cold and I needed to get warm. Still feeling the effects of the flu unfortunately.

Looking at the waves at Seaside Beach. You can see how windy it was. Gusts coming from the east made today a very cold and windy day.

Have a wonderful week and Happy 2019 New Year everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful photos Jo. Best wishes for a healthy Happy New Year. I hope you recover from the flu quickly and that our days become a bit warmer especially in the mornings. All the best. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbra for your well wishes. I am getting better every day! Hope you have a wonderful year!

      Delete