Saturday, November 1, 2014

Buffleheads Are Back at the Lagoon

Friday Oct. 31, 2014


For the first time in a long time, it really looked like it may rain. We need the rain desperately so I am thrilled that we my get some by tonight. Deciding to go for my walk even though it was dark and cloudy, but just in case we get some moisture, I grabbed a plastic cover to protect my camera and lens.

Walking towards the south end of the trail at San Elijo Lagoon, I see a photographer heading my way. I asked if he saw anything new and he said he did see a pair of Buffleheads fly by... I am thrilled to hear that the Buffleheads have arrived at our San Elijo Lagoon.

Bufflehead "Bucephala albeola" they are our smallest duck, measuring only 13.5 inches long with a wing span of 21 inches. It wasn't long before I spot a pair flying by. I barely got the camera up capturing only the male flying north over the tide channel.
The male and the female Bufflehead land near the back entrance. I watch for a while but get distracted by a Great Egret that had just landed near by... just a few moments of distraction was all it took... before I could raise may camera, all I see is the tail end of the two Buffleheads flying by.
They have landed near the south end of the lagoon. I just have to jog down before they take flight... too late, just as I pass the bridge, they take off running on water. I barely get my camera up to get a shot of the male Bufflehead as he is still running on water trying to get airborne.
Because Buffleheads are diving ducks, their legs are shorter and set back on the body to enhance the diving ability to feed in deeper water.  For diving ducks to get airborne, they need to get the forward momentum of bringing their body out of the water as they flap their wings by running on top of the water. Dabbling ducks, which feed in the shallows, such as the Mallards can take off straight from the water because they have longer legs set centered on the body. They are able to jump straight out of the water and into flight. In this photo, the female Bufflehead had already run ahead of the male and she is up and flying. The male is still running on water.
The male is really working his wings... If the sun was out we could see the rainbow color shining off the dark plumage of his head feathers.
I have counted about 13 strides for this little guy to get airborne. Look at those cute big pink webbed feet, perfect for running on water!
One more huge stride, wings flapping and up he goes!
Legs tucked back, the male Bufflehead gains speed and follows the channel east...
He stays low to the water as he makes the turn...
  
He is now heading east following the tide channel...
I keep shooting even though he is out of range... He is such a beautiful subject to shoot. I am so very excited to have these wonderful diving ducks back at our lagoon.
The female has slowed just enough for the male to catch up with her and they both fly together towards the east end of the lagoon. This back and forth flying is natural for the first week or so, until they feel comfortable with their surroundings and realize that there is no one shooting at them except photographers. Once they settle down they will be wonderful subjects to photograph. 
Have a beautiful Saturday everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment