Monday, November 10, 2014

Searching for Sapsuckers at Cuyamaca

Sunday Nov. 9, 2014

It was quite foggy at the beach when leaving my house but as I drove towards Rancho Santa Fe it was clear and bright... hoping that the weather would be nice and bird subjects plentiful at Lake Cuyamaca!




To park at Lake Cuyamaca you need to purchase a parking ticket at the Bait and Tackle store. It costs $8.00 for all day parking. If you want to go fishing ... you have to pay more. I quickly got my ticket and drove to the far south of the parking lot to the right of the docks. The weather was perfect and the lake was filled with water birds. I got a shot of a group of Ruddy Ducks still sleeping with a few American Coots sprinkled in.
Just spotting four Canvasbacks swimming nervously at the south end of the lake made this one and a half hour drive worth it!
Walking down towards the lake, I find a coarsely constructed 3 x 6 ft. bench with plywood shade and decide it would be a good place for me to sit quietly to see the Bald Eagles if they decide to make an appearance. The sun was just coming up over the tallest trees of the center island (peninsula). Watching the Great Egret fish in front of my bench... I snap a shot as he catches a morning snack.
Something spooks the coots. They are frantically running up the center of the lake but reluctant to fly.
Now the Canvasbacks are in the air.
Here is the reason why... a Bald Eagle makes an appearance! It is amazing that I searched the sky for almost an hour and didn't see the Eagle approach but the Coots knew right away when one entered the Lake area.
Wow, what a treat, there are two Bald Eagles in the Lake Cuyamaca grounds, as one lands on a tall pine tree across the way on the island. Only when they perch together can you see which is the male and which is the female. Females can be up to 25 to 30% bigger than the males. I believe this is the bonded pair that the locals talked about last year. The one just landed is much bigger so I am pretty sure it is the female.The male is to the left in this photo with head bowed... showing his non-aggressive posture towards his mate.
The female soon scoots over next to the male and both vocalize a greeting call to each other as well as announce to anyone in hearing distance this is their territory and don't mess with them. The calls go on for a while and soon they fly West probably to survey the rest of their territory. This photo really shows the difference in the size between the male and the female!
Watching the pair of Bald Eagles was exciting but now I want to get a few close-up shots of the Ruby-crowned Kinglets so I walk back towards the parking lot and spot a bird I have never seen before. It's a OMG moment for me as I click the camera and get as many photos as possible as he is creeping around the bark of a nearby tree. It is a Red-breasted Sapsucker! Wow, what a beauty! A life bird for me and what a amazing looking bird this is!
The Sapsucker drills holes in trees to tap the tree for sap. When the holes fill with tree sap... they come and visit their little wells to feed on the tree sap. This one is looking for one of its holes that has filled with tree sap.  


Found one!


The tree sap is like nectar and many times the hummingbirds will follow the Sapsucker to their wells to benefit from the honey like tree sap.Trying for a closer shot, the Sapsucker hears me stepping on a dead branch. It snaps as I inch my way closer... and this Sapsucker decides to fly off into the dense brush nearby.
Disappointed but soon my attention goes to this little guy close by. This is a little Oak Titmouse... "Baeolophus inornatus". They are 5.75 inches long with a wing span of 9 inches. This one appears to be a juvenile with a short crest on its head. A adult will have a full pointed crest which is easy to spot.

Hoping to spot the Sapsucker again, I station myself next to a large poplar tree with tables and chairs to wait and see if it makes another appearance. A very experienced birder told me that the littler critters like to hang out in a particular area and they will re-visit
the area, you just have to be patient. But there are dozens and dozens of Ruby-crowned Kinglets fluttering overhead to keep me entertained.
These Kinglets are insect eaters and hover and skip from branch to branch gleaning insects off leaves and branches.
I spot a second life bird today or at least I thought so for a while thinking it may be a Myrtle Yellow-rumped Warbler. The throat is definitely pale white-ish. But the pale throat dosen't seem to wrap around the back of auriculars... so this may just be wishful thinking on my part.
Some wing movement gets my attention and there is my 3rd life bird that I spot today!! It is a Red-naped Sapsucker! I keep watching and snapping with my camera but soon he goes out of the clearing and disappears behind thick branches and foliage.
A very familiar bird comes out into the clearing and into my camera sights... it appears to be a female Nuttall's Woodpecker. This tree is amazing!
I find the Red-naped Sapsucker in my camera sights again but he soon departs.
But wait... the Red-naped Sapsucker lands nearby and I get one more photo before he moves on to another part of the huge tree.
Well, finally my patience has paid off! The Red-breasted Sapsucker makes a brief appearance on the huge poplar tree that is only about 15 feet away and I get one more shot before he departs... and it is time for me to head for home. What an incredible day it has
been for me. Wow, photographing these birds I have never seen before makes today a fantastic outing! 
Have a great week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment