Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Spotting the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow

Tuesday Nov. 25, 2014

I have been going to the peninsula trail at Rios for the last month trying to find the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow. Today was another super high tide day and I was going to give it another try...



It was just about at maximum height of high tide and I was on the lookout for the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow at Rios side of the lagoon. Getting to the point of the peninsula trail, I find that there are already a few photographers waiting for the Nelson's sparrow to make an appearance. I stayed back as there really isn't enough room at the point to hold more than two photographers at a time. As I watched from about 20ft away, one of the photographers had gotten enough photos and was leaving. Looking towards the area, the lone photographer waved me over and offered me a spot and advised me as to the exact spot where the sparrow was last spotted. Within minutes, the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow made his appearance! He was so perfectly camouflaged against the background that he was easy to miss.


Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow... Ammodramus nelsoni. They measure 5 inches long with a wing span of 7 inches.
The only time these sparrows are spotted is at very high tide.
He surfaced just briefly for a quick shot.
  
That was all for today. The Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow soon flew out to the reeds after this shot.
Disappointed that I only got a few shots of the Nelson's, I decided to go check out the Pole trail to see if any other new arrivals were around. Our local Great Blue Heron was out hunting at one of his favorite spots.
As I watched a few of the ducks dabbling in the tide channel, I was visited by the Northern Harrier -- it was a fast flyby. 
I barely had a chance to bring my camera up for a shot.
Finding nothing else around, I decided to head home. I did manage to get a quick shot of our female American Kestrel looking for prey by the pumphouse. I just saw her catch a dragonfly while I was watching for the Nelson's sparrow. She is a fantastic hunter.
Just as I passed the earth dam, I spot a Sora in the muck and marsh grass.
One of our smaller Rails, Sora... Porzana carolina measures 8.75 inches long with a wing span of 14 inches. They are one of the Northern Harrier's favorite prey. The Harrier is always on the hunt for these little Rails especially at high tide when they are more exposed.
And speaking of the Northern Harrier... here she is!  She finds me at the observation area by the bench that overlooks the whole lagoon.
The Harrier is soaring directly in front of me and coming in for a closer look. In this photo,we can really see the Owl-like disc on her face.
 
She gives me a good look-over.
Northern Harrier... Circus cyaneus. They measure 18 inches with a wing span of 43 inches.
The stare that looks right through your soul. These are the moments that you never forget when taking photos of these beautiful raptors.

Eye to eye...
Showing off some graceful moves.
  
Almost directly overhead.
Another good stare... I wonder if she recognizes me? They say that birds get to know people...
  
Very close and low...
She sure is coming in close today...
The sun is to her back, not the best angle for photos.
When you look through your lens and see this, it takes your breath away!
Really checking me out... I wonder if this is the same one from last year.
A few more circles and stares.
Good thing I have the railing behind me or I would be falling down the cliff. I am bent straight back, my back draped over the railing.
One more close look as she soars by and finally flies away going southeast. It's time for me to go home too.

Happy Thanksgiving Day!    


Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment