Sunday, December 27, 2020

Say's Phoebe and a Hermit Thrush too!

 A beautiful Sunday morning and the air is filled with chirping birds. Deciding to check if any new visitors may be spotted in my backyard, I take my camera and walk out to my garden. Soon I spot the Swinhoe's White-eye flying in and he is not alone! For the first time, I spot two of them. Hoping to get a good shot of both in the same frame, I hang around the garden for a while but no success. As I am ready to head back to the house, a familiar looking bird lands on my Plumeria tree. What is it? I was quite surprised when I recognized it. This is the first time I have seen a Say's Phoebe in my yard!

 

 

 

 

Here are some shots of the Say's Phoebe perched on the Plumeria's branch. 





 Close-up.

 Say's Phoebe, Sayornis saya  measures 7.5 inches long with a wingspan of 13 inches.

 Close-up.



 
An Orange-crowned Warbler lands nearby.




 A beautiful female Anna's Hummingbird is spotted.










 



 A male Allen's Hummingbird chases her off.

Going back to my dining room and sipping on a hot cup of tea, I am delighted to see a Hermit Thrush come to the water fountain on my patio.

 
The Hermit Thrush stares down the cute little Lesser Goldfinch and the finch gives way to the bigger bird.

  The Hermit Thrush is happy now. He has the fountain all to himself.





  Look at his back. A very dull colored bird.

 
Side view also looks dull.

 
But wow, as soon as you see the front, it is very lively with spots.

 One last shot before he flies off. Hope to see more of this cutie!

 
Have a good week everyone!

 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jo !
    I found this in my Junk Mail just now! Your pictures are wonderful, as usual.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you a Sane, Healthy and Happy 2021.
    Wish love from Ted and Kisti...🌻

    ReplyDelete