Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Swinhoe's White-eye, Oh My!

 

I would have to say that this morning was a typical morning fixing breakfast for Bella my Rat Terrier and me. Looking out my kitchen window as I prepared a cup of coffee, I spotted a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and decided to take my camera and get a few photos of the cutie. Finding the Kinglet taking a bath in one of my fountains in the garden, I was delighted to get some shots of this cute little bird and I was ready to get back to my coffee. An unusual sounding bird is heard in my Melaleuca tree and I spot it flying into my neighbors' Schefflera tree. As I click away with my camera, I realize this is a bird I have not seen before. It is a Swinhoe's White-eye!
 
 
 
 
 
I keep my camera ready on my dining table just in case a interesting bird subject decides to fly to my fountain. This morning, it was a visit by a sweet looking Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Close-up.

In this photo you can see the yellow color feathers on his rump as he moves his wings around for a bath. Yellow-rumped Warbler , Setophaga coronata measures 5.5 inches long with a wingspan of 9.25 inches.

 Looking out my kitchen window as I fix my coffee, I spot a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. I grab the camera and find him bathing in one of the fountains in the garden.
 
 Dipping his head in the water.

He keeps moving and dipping as he enjoys his morning bath.

  Soon he is perched in the citrus tree and enjoying the sunlight.

   Close-up. His head and chest are still wet.

  Good look at his backside.

 Wow, his Ruby-crown is really visible.

 Close-up.

 Kinglets are so adorable.

  Close-up.

 What a great angle to see the beautiful ruby color on his crown.

 He fans his wings and tail feathers to dry.

 Close-up.

 Ruby-crowned Kinglet , Regulus calendula measures 4.25 inches long with a wingspan of 7.5 inches. They feed on tiny insects and are very welcome in my garden!

 Nice profile.

My last shot of the cutie. Ready to get back to breakfast and coffee, a bird sound very unfamiliar catches my ear. I see some movement in my Melaleuca tree. Watching for a clear shot to see what kind of bird that could be.

I spot a flight movement out of the Melaleuca tree to the neighbor's Schefflera tree. Focusing my camera and finding a bird that I can't identify. I get a few more shots and he is gone. Well what is it? Downloading my camera, I send a few photos to Eve for an ID... Eve writes back saying that this bird is a Swinhoe's White-eye. Oh my! An invasive bird that has originated from an area around China and have been a problem in Hawaii and now it is in California! He is really beautiful. Look at the thick white ring around his eye. Quite a showy bird.

 A look at the white ring around his eye. Swinhoe's White-eye , Zosterops simplex measures around 5.9 inches long. They have rounded wings and strong legs.

 He is enjoying the berries of the Schefflera tree. They mainly eat insects but also eat nectar and various fruits. Grape growers do not like these birds because they have a way of puncturing the grape skin with their sharp beaks which causes insect infestation. (Info from Wikipedia)

Last shot before it flew off. What a great morning getting to see another life bird. Hope to see him again.

Have a super week everyone!

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment