Thursday, October 9, 2014

A Shape from the Age of Dinosaurs

The day that I photographed the "Great Egret with Prey", I also captured a Great Blue Heron in flight ... Here are some flight shots of the GBH as he flew by. Some have given this GBH affectionate "nicknames"... such as Clapper Killer, Glutton, Bird Killer. Whatever we may call him at times... he is one majestic bird and a sight to behold when he flies by...







As I stood past the bridge of the San Elijo Lagoon trail, I noticed a huge bird flying towards me... It's the Great Blue Heron.  When I see a Great Blue Heron flying by, I can't help but imagine that he resembles a Pterosaur from the age of Dinosaurs...
Great Blue Herons "Ardea herodias" are the largest and heaviest in the family of herons. 
They measure 46 inches long with a wing span of 72 inches!!

They are known to be solitary birds, only time I have seen two in my camera frame is because one was chasing the other out of his territory...

The Sibley Guide to Birds states that they are nocturnal, however this GBH has been observed hunting and grabbing prey during the day, which makes it very exciting for the photographers.



















 

Have a super Friday everyone!







No comments:

Post a Comment