Thursday, October 23, 2014

Black Turnstones....This is How We Roll

Wednesday Oct. 22, 2014

For the last few weeks I have been trying to get a close look at the Black Turnstone "Arenaria melanocephala". These chunky little shorebirds spend the winter on beaches and mudflats rolling over rocks and debris as they search for food. Every time I have gone to the Pole Rd Trail at Rios to look for them, I only spotted one and always too far for photos... But today I was in luck when I spotted three Turnstones hunkered down on a pile of seaweed close to the Pole Road Trail!




I was so pleased to see three Black Turnstones on a pile of seaweed at the T intersection of the tide channel on the Pole Rd Trail. Even if all they did was preen and sleep, it was still great to get some close up shots of these elusive migrants. This little Black Turnstone is enjoying the sun and taking a little snooze watched over by his neighbor the Marbled Godwit...
What is this Willet thinking landing on this pile of kelp full of sleeping birds? The kelp island is already full and there is no more room for a big guy like him.
The Marbled Godwit lets him know he is not welcome... the Willet leaves...
Now a Black-bellied Plover lands at the end strip of the Kelp island... The Turnstone is upset.
The napping Turnstone wakes as he feels the tension growing on the tiny kelp island...
His two buddies join him next to the Godwit. The Godwit also makes good shade for one of the Turnstones. They all relax and preen. The tiny island settles into a relaxing napping and preening retreat for while. I sat down on the ground and keep taking occasional shots, knowing that nothing stays calm for very long on the "wild side" of Rios...
Here we go... an aggressive Black-bellied Plover lands and decides he wants the Turnstones gone. 
The two Black Turnstones move to the south end of the tiny kelp island and run into more hostility.
They are no longer feeling comfortable on this pile of kelp.
  
One takes off north...
Lands on the north end of the T channel... He found his own little pile of seaweed.
Here comes the other two...
A nice little cove.
The white on the underwings are almost blinding...
This one lets everyone know he is really happy with this spot ..
They gather and look for the perfect spot for their bath...
  
Wow, I have seen birds bathe before but this guy is the most enthusiastic bather I have ever seen. He shakes so much with his tail up in the air he almost does a cartwheel.

The fun of watching the Turnstones bathing, fluttering, and fluffing reminds me of a country and western song "This is How We Roll"...

"and This is How We Do"...
The pure joy of a refreshing bath...
Jumping, fluttering... getting lots of air time. I can't help but smile as I keep snapping these shots.

This one getting good and soaked...
bliss...
This one is done bathing and out to dry...
beautiful wings...
he does look squeaky clean...
jumping for joy...
No other birds around to harass them..
all dry...
time to preen.
All three settle down and enjoy the quiet of the moment...
This Turnstone shows off his beautiful wings one more time and settles down to preen.
I am so excited to have found these Black Turnstones today, I am humming that song as I head for home... "This is How We Roll" don't know the rest of the song but the tune is very catchy and now I can't get it out of my mind. LOL... you know what I will be humming all weekend!
Have a fun weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment