Sunday, October 5, 2014

Capturing the Belted Kingfisher in Flight

One of the hardest bird subjects that I have found to photograph, especially in flight, is the Belted Kingfisher...Ceryle alcyon (Sibley Guide to Birds). They fly fast and erratically change directions or speed in a split second. By the time you spot one, aim your camera, and focus... all you are left with is a dozen backside shots!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fast and furious is the perfect way to describe trying to photograph a kingfisher.. but when there are two flying every which way... well you are in double trouble... The morning was bright and beautiful and the water reflecting the color of the sky made it almost impossible to spot a oncoming male Kingfisher! Pointed the camera in his direction and held my breath.
 
 
The Kingfisher is coming in fast and low, my camera is having difficulty grabbing the full on straight flight. I think this is the most difficult flight shot I have ever taken.
 
 
I keep snapping... hoping that my camera's focus holds.
 
 
and in a instant he turns and is speeding out of range
  
I spot one on a distant post. It's the female Kingfisher and the male is flying wildly all around. Soon both are gone, one chasing the other, it must be courtship time.
 
Most of the time, you will hear that unique loud rattling call of a Kingfisher before you spot one. Today I was very lucky to spot one that flew by without making a sound. This is the female Belted Kingfisher. Only the females have the brown belt markings.
 
 
Belted Kingfisher measures 13 inches long with a wing span of 20 inches. They are fish eating birds. Many times you will see them hovering and diving head first to capture the fish.
 

This photo shows the translucent white markings on her wings.. also the white markings on the tail are translucent..
 
a close-up view of the " belt " markings on the female Belted Kingfisher.
 
 
Feeling lucky to get a few flight shots of the Belted Kingfishers...I'm ready to start for home but there is a strange form flying in the sky to the south.. there are 10 big birds flying in a group. I look through my lens and see the exotic outline of the White-faced Ibis.
 
They are circling the lagoon, flying high and far and soon depart heading east. I will be looking forward to seeing them visit our beautiful Lagoon again.
 
Have a great Sunday everyone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment