Monday, October 27, 2014

Morning at Lake Cuyamaca

Sunday Oct. 26 2014

The wind gusts woke me about 4:30am as I wondered out loud if my 21ft toy hauler would be blown over by some of the high gusts that are normal here in Julian. Camping out for me is cooking everything in the microwave. A hot cup of water and a packet of Nescafe starts my day with a nuked frozen burrito for my average camping breakfast. Reading the last chapter of my Patricia Cornwell novel and waiting for the sunrise, I am enjoying the quiet of the country morning









I have gone to Lake Cuyamaca the last few days around 3:00pm looking to photograph the Bald Eagles but they were no shows. Today, I was going to try an early morning drive to the lake to see if these magnificent raptors may be spotted hunting for breakfast. Finishing my coffee and taking a walk with the dogs, I see that the sun is starting to come up but the stormy mountain clouds are making the sunrise look more like a sunset. I want to get a shot of the sunrise but I needed to rush to the viewpoint that overlooks the Wolf Reserve, that is about 4 blocks all uphill! Finally I get my shot after huffing and puffing to the hilltop. The sun had already cleared the horizon but the colors are fantastic. Now it's time to go to Lake Cuyamaca.







Lake Cuyamaca is suffering from lack of rainfall and the water has receded to where it is only about 5 ft at its deepest. I saw a Great Blue Heron standing in the middle of the lake on the south side just past the buoys and he was only in knee deep water. As I search the sky for any sign of Eagles, I  spot two large dark birds up high just below the clouds.
 
One is coming towards the lake, it is a Bald Eagle!
 
It always takes my breath away when I spot one soaring above. This is a fully matured adult Bald Eagle. When they reach maturity, they will have the beautiful white head and tail. The clouds make it very difficult to get any good shots. I am shooting east, and he is flying with the light to his back.
 
I see the talons come down... this shot has been lightened to show a little more detail but it is still a dark and dreary day.
 
He spots something of interest.. he has a target!
 
coming down quick...
 
I am standing near water level on the west side of the lake... he is descending towards the east edge of the lake...
 
It's impossible to see but the edge of the lake is filled with ducks, grebes, and coots all scattering. You can see a Great Egret to the left of this photo, the water is only knee deep. The Eagle has his sights on something...
 
He is in full focus.
 
He spots his target...
 
tracking his prey and swooping down.
 
Pure concentration... talons ready...
 
Going for the grab...You can see the turbulence of the water directly in front of the Eagle's talons!
 
Split second before the catch...
 
Got him!!!
 
And the Eagle surges upward...
 


Beautiful outstreatched wings.
 
 
Looking over his prey, securing his grip.
 
 
The Eagle pumps his huge wings and is ready to leave the area...
 
It is amazing how much water is dripping from his prey. This observation makes me believe this is a bird... maybe a small Grebe that he has captured. Pied-billed Grebes measure 13 inches long with a wing span of 16.
 
I don't believe a bullfrog would shed so much water but the photo is not clear enough to
show a positive ID of the prey.
 
With some height gained off the water, the Eagle is ready to leave the area.
 
Getting some speed, he hurries to a quiet safe place where he can consume his prey in peace...
 
Have a nice Monday everyone...
 

2 comments:

  1. Jo - It was great to meet you at San Elijo Lagoon yesterday. Thanks for the link to your blog. I love the photos you have posted. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim, It was very nice meeting you yesterday and thank you for your comments. It sure brightened my day!

      Delete