Saturday, October 18, 2014

Quiet Morning with a Eared Grebe

Friday, Oct. 17, 2014.
There were some morning low clouds but soon the sun came out. I gulped the last of my coffee, grabbed my camera and headed for the Rios trail to check on new arrivals.






At the start of the Rios trailhead that leads to the west side of the lagoon, I spot a juvenile Nutmeg Mannikin...Lonchura punctulata. One of the exotic finches that have escaped captivity and established a small population in California and Florida since the 1980s. Also known as Spice Finch. First one I have seen. Notice that the vegetation is quite dry. We are having a major drought crisis in California. Hope we get some rain soon.
I saw a few sparrows on the peninsula trail. These appeared to be Savannah Sparrows. They sure blend in well with the marsh vegetation.
At the very end of the peninsula trail, there is a tiny pond that is located on the west side of the bench area. As I walked up to the pond, I could see it was occupied by a lone Eared Grebe. My approach to the pond had woken him.  
Morning light is just gorgeous. All the green and orange reflection is from the pickleweeds that surround the tiny pond. There are no other human visitors in the area...
it was just me and the Eared Grebe enjoying the morning sun and quiet time.
The Grebe has a nice stretch. Eared Grebe..."Podiceps nigricollis" are 13 inches long with a wing span of 16 inches.
Looks over my way to see if he needs to make a quick exit. I sit down quietly next to the pond and he relaxes as he starts to forage for food.

The pond is capturing a beautiful reflection of the Grebe.
The small Grebe must always be on the look out for birds of prey. Here he stretches his neck for better observation.
When Grebes are alerted, their neck stretches to its full extent...
Ready to flee any danger, he appears calm, but always aware of my presence. He may be using me to his advantage. Most birds of prey will avoid human presence even if they spot a prey close by...
It's a joy to watch this little guy dive and swim enjoying the quiet of the morning.
A cute moment as the Grebe appears to be looking at self.  
As I sit and watch ... the Grebe comes closer and closer ...
Oh wow, I get a beautiful display as he sits up for a wing flap...
There appears to be a lot of bird under the wings... when the Grebe is sitting on water, he is showing only the top of his back.. he looks very small just swimming around but when he sits up for a wing flap, we get to see he has quite the girth...
  
What a showy display... you can see the white marking on his wings. It's very noticeable when he is in flight.
A little fluffing and he appears a lot bigger than normal.
When I see a bird preening, I get the feeling that he is comfortable with his surroundings and he can relax enough to groom his feathers, get that special itchy spot...
In this photo, you can see how far back his legs are set on his body.
 It was time for me to do a little more walking, I get up slowly but he becomes alert.

As I walk away, I take one more shot of this cute little Eared Grebe, hoping he will be safe and stay in the lagoon for a long visit.
Have a lovely Saturday everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment